Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '17 XT. I recently started having pretty significant vibrations in the steering wheel and throughout the vehicle when I'm taking wide left turns (15-30 degrees of steering angle) on the highway between 60-85 mph. You can really feel it in the front right of the vehicle. It only happens on left turns.

This issue actually happened ~6 months ago, after which I got my alignment done and it fixed the problem. However, it started happening again and after another alignment it is still happening. Thinking it might be an issue with my front right tire, I rotated my tires but the issue still persists and feels exactly the same. I'm thinking about getting my tires balanced, but since it feels no different after the rotation, I'm worried it might be an issue with my suspension.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Hope it’s ok if I piggy back off of this question. I have a 2015 forester that does the same thing when I’m going 80 km/h. So if it does this when I’m turning left, which of the 4 LCAs could it be? (Asking for hubby who will fix it but doesn’t like doing the internet stuff so please be kind if I’ve asked a stupid question).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,510 Posts
So if it does this when I’m turning left, which of the 4 LCAs could it be?
My strong impression is that the forward L&R LCA bushings originally installed in SJ Foresters are now considered to be a defective design - there was no question during my repair, they replaced both. These bushings are pretty much invisible behind the metal of the suspension arm, the nut and the bolt. The aft two bushings - the ones which show quite a bit more rubber when you've got the car jacked up and a tire removed - may look pretty cruddy with age cracks, but aren't a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! So I should be able to take this to the dealer for repair at no charge? Or does the hubby replace them (he’s very mechanically inclined just doesn’t know the forester well).

·
Registered
'17 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the reply! So I should be able to take this to the dealer for repair at no charge? Or does the hubby replace them (he’s very mechanically inclined just doesn’t know the forester well).
It probably won't be at no charge, but it should only be a $100 deductible with it being listed on the TSB. My dealership was not super helpful. They initially tried charging me $600 before reminded them I have the Gold warranty plan. Here's the link to the TSB page.

And to answer your earlier question. If the rattling is only on left turns then its probably the front right LCA bushing thats shot. Its exactly what was happening to me. Got the front right LCA bushing replaced and have no more issues.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X
1,171 Posts
IME, the front LCA rear bushings get ripped before the fronts wear out, but they are both problematic. Had both my rears replaced under warrranty, there's an updated design that seems to last longer due to more rubber in there (less intentional voids). Good luck and let us know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts