Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FXT Ice Silver AP3 Stg1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a little louder exhaust for a bit now, and don't really want spend $700+ on something that going to be plastered with mud and beat with rocks. Enter the WRX mid-pipe. As far as I can tell the WRX mid-pipe is the same as my FXT except that it does not have the resonator. I have been looking through craigslist for used ones or part out cars and have seen a few. Most want to sell only the whole cat back and want at least $140-$200 for the part. My question is why wouldn't I just go to a decent muffler shop and have them cut out the resonator and weld in straight pipe? Seems like a better and cheaper option. Is there anything else I'm missing here?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Theory proven! I went to a local muffler shop about 1.5 miles from my house this morning and had them cut out the mid-pipe resonator and weld in a piece of straight pipe. $60! Half of what I was looking to spend on a wrx mid-pipe. The loudness is only noticeable by someone looking for it and I probably won't notice after a day or two of driving but the tone is deeper for sure. It has a lower note at idle and is also more aggresive during flat out acceleration. I'm gonna see how I like it after a week or two before I decide to get a set of muffler deletes too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One week in I really like it! I think i'm going to order the Subiespeed muffler dlete axle backs. After about 400 miles since install (It's my work vehicle) I want more. The sound is nice but I can't tell that I've done anything unless I'm under at least moderate acceleration then it sounds slightly more aggresive. I have got on it with a few different people in the car and they all assumed it was stock so you really do have to know the stock sound to tell the difference. I'm glad I did this first before going with the deletes, it was only $60 and I'm sure I would have ended up doing both eventually anyway. Hope this helped anybody considering a mid-pipe. I will update this once I get the deletes too.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
73 Posts
From personal experience, I can say the muffler deletes and WRX mid pipe combo lacks personality. IOW, it's just loud, especially at startup.There were five of us present when the install was done and all agreed it was just too loud with no other redeeming qualities. Even so I drove it for a week to confirm our initial opinion. I then replaced the WRX mid pipe with the OEM Forester part.

Next, the stock Forester mid pipe with the resonator in place combined with muffler deletes is very quiet. you do get a bit of growl but mostly you just hear a lot of nondescript whooshing sounds when applying throttle aggressively. The OEM resonator is VERY effective. If I knew what I know now about this combo, I would not have bothered purchasing the Muffler Deletes.

My experimentation stopped there. Since I have both a WRX and a Forester mid pipe I have contemplated installing an aftermarket resonator in the WRX mid pipe. However, my disappointment with the two alternative systems I've tried so far caused me to not bother going down that path.
I'd pay good money for a set of unequal length headers for a SJ Forester! LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the insight! It is weird how their are not any UEL headers available. I guess its because the turbo sits right in the center.

Edit: Some quick research showed that the UEL headers will not work because the turbo on the FA20DIT is a twin scroll and therefore wont work correctly without EL headers.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
773 Posts
Smustin, I didn't see your thread until today, great way to get a little more exhaust note on the cheap! I did resonator delete on an 1986 Camry once and it was too loud imo, if I was still into headers and louder exhaust it would have been just right! On that car it was maybe tiny bit faster acceleration (car had no power at all lol) but the mpg went down a bit, didn't like that since it was a mpg master, was selling it anyways so oh well lol.

Lakewalker, very interesting suggestion to delete the mufflers that I would think would be super loud and obnoxious, I'm off to hear any Youtube videos of such, but seems either resonator or muffler delete would be best otherwise probably too loud. I like my stealthy quiet exhaust especially when I'm out on a dirt road or trail somewheres with nature. Interesting that you noted lack of exhaust tone personality, whooshing exhaust noise does not sound good...off to have a listen. BRB :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts