Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Just wondering if it is possible to replace 2015 Halogen headlight housing with 2017 LED projector headlight housing. Do they have the same fitment?

Our 2015 halogen headlights are a joke. I am going to change the bulbs soon to see if they improve but if not, I was thinking if I can swap it with 2017 LED housing.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/forester-4-door-suv/2017#jump-to If you scroll down 2017 Limited and Touring have this kind of housing. I am not too sure if it involves just the headlight assembly or anything more.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester Manual
1 Posts
Seconded. I'm in the same boat.

I tried LED bulbs (cheap ones from Amazon and more expensive Morimoto 2 Stroke) and those don't work well in stock H11 reflector housing. Too much light above the cutoff.

So now I'm considering swapping the entire headlight assemblies with the ones from the more recent model (if it fits), or with something aftermarket. I saw some threads on retrofitting projectors in existing housing, but it looks like one-way street, with no way to go back if anything doesn't quite work out.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
17 Posts
You could compare parts diagrams to cross reference hardware and other associated parts to somewhat verify fitment.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,254 Posts
Also in same situation. and have put in LED bulbs from a variety of Manufacturers and sources but would still like to see or use the newer housings with the c light shape that lights up.

I'm currently in a 2018 2.5 Limited as a loaner while my 2014 is getting. I have taken some pictures of both the front and rear light units from under the hood and such to see about if they are wired the same and would use the same connectors.

I will say, that I have seen some people using the diode Dynamics LED headlights bulbs and they seem to have some very good output using the stock housings from the non-led earlier Foresters. At $150 a pair, it would be cheaper been trying to Source a set of new housings from the newer vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
187 Posts
Have you checked the price of the LED projector headlamps? Hearsay each side costs about $1K. Part of the reason why it’s so expensive becos they are steering responsive headlamps

This has not considered the labor cost/modifications req’d to make it work as the wiring is different. I recall reading a thread in the forum about someone attempting it

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked the price of the LED projector headlamps? Hearsay each side costs about $1K. Part of the reason why it’s so expensive becos they are steering responsive headlamps

This has not considered the labor cost/modifications req’d to make it work as the wiring is different. I recall reading a thread in the forum about someone attempting it
Yes, you are right. I checked those prices. Just the material is around 2K + labor. IMHO, if I take this car to the grave, its worth it, esp looking at current headlights situation. Unless the road is pitch dark, I personally can not figure out if I have headlights on or not. Thus, I have hit potholes too many times to count.

Steering responsiveness was the only thing I am/was truly worried about. 2015 doesn't have that kind of wiring so how would one install them straight, that I don't know. Hence I posted here.

Installing aftermarket LEDs in a halogen housing is a bad idea. First, the light will be a blob, instead of a cut off as the light would reflect everywhere. It would blind oncoming traffic. Second, the LEDs are whiter. My personal experience, whiter light doesn't give you a better visual. You get a false feeling that you can see farther with white light.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
HOW? Mind sharing the wisdom. They are definitely superior to stock halogens.
  1. Remove headlights from car
  2. Open headlights by either popping them in the oven or using a heatgun
  3. Cut, liberally
  4. Attach projector creatively
  5. Seal it all back up

Steps 3 and 4 are really the hard part.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  1. Remove headlights from car
  2. Open headlights by either popping them in the oven or using a heatgun
  3. Cut, liberally
  4. Attach projector creatively
  5. Seal it all back up

Steps 3 and 4 are really the hard part.
They are $99/pop on ebay. Will get those used ones to play around first. Have to convince DW first as its her car. If I get a green light then this is a summer project.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Heh yeah the Forester was my wife's car and has already gone through 2 headlight changes: the first one was from stock to unmodified G37 bixenon projectors (really nice projectors, just wish I would've put clear lenses on) and a switchback flexible LED tube (those things are terrible don't waste your money on them), running with Osram CBI D2S bulbs off of Matsushita ballasts. The second one was from the bixenon projectors to the Murano LED projectors. I like that the LED projectors don't need to warm up - they are on or they are off. They're never warming up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts