Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love keyless access, but beware! At a gas station both my wife and I exited, but she left her set of keys inside. After filling, I locked the door by touching the door handle and went inside to meet her. Upon returning, the door would not unlock using the door handle. The rear hatch could be opened, but that would mean crawling in to open the back door. I remembered there was a never-used metal key as part of the key fob, so I used that to unlock the door.

When a similar situation occurred previously, I was not able to lock the door because it sensed a set of keys inside. For some reason, it allowed the door to lock this time.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
321 Posts
Possibly because the FOB was not in the car?

I'm not sure on the '17's but my '10 Impreza would not let you lock the keys in the car, only if they were still in the ignition.

Lay them on the seat, and they could be locked in the car.

The keyless ignition (FOB only) will not let you lock the doors with the FOB in the car. You get a loud constant beep for about 3 or 4 seconds if you try.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
710 Posts
The keyless ignition (FOB only) will not let you lock the doors with the FOB in the car. You get a loud constant beep for about 3 or 4 seconds if you try.
But this sounds like @syzygy303 had both a FOB on them and a FOB that was left in the car. I'd guess that the car sensing the FOB outside is what allowed it to lock. Why it wouldn't unlock though is a mystery.

For having my car for two years, I really haven't played with the lock/unlock stuff as much as I should have. I tried to set a PIN for the hatch once, but it didn't work right. With as much as a tech nerd that I am, it seem odd that I've just left that alone.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
321 Posts
Subaru's door lock system is a bit funky. I haven't tried it with my '21, but with the 2010 Impreza, if you had it running, and manually locked it with the inside lever and shut the door, the fob would not unlock it.

Lucky I was at home and had the spare key handy.

If I had done that away from home I would have been screwed.

The dealer told me that Subarus will only unlock the same way they are locked in certain situations.

It still doesn't help syzygy303.

Unless it used the fob inside the car to lock, and it was looking for that specific fob's signal.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
845 Posts
I also have a '17 XT Touring, and I don't think you've quite correctly described the normal functioning of our lock systems. Or else you have something wrong with yours (like a weak fob battery?). Remember there are two different ways of electronically locking the car from the outside 1) push the fob button and 2) touch the outside door handle ridgey-spot with your finger. If you are traveling with 2+ people and both of the car's keys are along on the trip and you are at a rest stop, if either one or two key fobs are still inside the car, the #2) method will not work. (Nor will the unlock method where you just hold your hand in the outside door handle) But the #1 method fob button on the outside fob still will lock and unlock the car.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@whobodym Thank you for your input; very helpful. I may have locked the car using the fob instead of the handle, but I rarely do so. When I grabbed the handle and it remained locked, I looked at the fob and only saw a symbol for a lock (in my haste, I didn't see the unlock symbol--I never use it). I now realize I could have unlocked the door with that button. Duh!

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
455 Posts
I had set up my keyless fobless entry combination just in case something like this happens. It works.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
817 Posts
I have had the honor to drive a staff van in 14 Presidential and Vice Presidential motorcades.
One fear of god they put into you is don't lose the keys, if fact when were stopped and if we leave the van, to place the keys on the dash in case someone needs to move the vehicle.
So I have that do not lose the keys habit imprinted in my head.

My approach when traveling. My keyless fob in my pocket. The second fob is in the car somewhere, and DISABLED. This allows us to use the car as if there is no fob in the vehicle.
In case we leave the car and lock it and I somehow lose my fob down a storm drain, I can open the car using my phone, or if no cell, use the pin button on the hatch to open all doors.
Then retrieve the spare fob and active it by pushing any button on it. And off we go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts