Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2017 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently replaced my headunit with a Kenwood DMX907S and love it but there is a problem I noticed.
The backup camera has the stock backup lines still show up.
I tired searching the forums and saw how to get into the 'secret menu' and could turn them off there.
Does anyone know how to remove the factory backup guides without having to re-install the OEM 7 inch non-nav headunit?

Here is the image shown with the Kenwood backup lines (which i enjoy as it moves with the steering wheel) along with the factory backup lines.
Television Gadget Output device Rectangle Display device

Here is with the backup guides from the headunit disabled.
Output device Gadget Computer Flat panel display Computer monitor accessory

But here is my setup
Kenwood DMX9702
Maestro RR
Maestro HRN-RR-SU2
Scosche SU2031B

Thank you in advance

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,590 Posts
I had the DDX5707S nunikt installed. I still have the backup lines, which are fine. Problem is the Red light on starlink is on. I suspect they hooked it up wrong. They added another USB pigtail which I need to use for car play. Do you have to do than and is your starlink OK?

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
In my own Kenwood install, I did not do the back up cam to the head unit display; it was always on the MFD up top.

You may have some settings in the Kenwood unit for the Forester - access to some of those hidden features, for example. On my 2014, there is a passive alarm that you can set that can be set to auto arm without locking the doors, either immediate or after 30 seconds.

On my Kenwood DDX396, I hit the settings icon from the home page -

Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment Screenshot

Then you should see SYSTEM and then "FORESTER" or similar and from there, you can access different options; some are the same settings in the MFD programming, some not.

Vehicle Audio equipment Personal luxury car Vehicle audio Center console

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Gadget Technology

So that's how you MIGHT be able to find the settings for the back up camera. Not sure if you tried that but ...

· Registered
2017 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my own Kenwood install, I did not do the back up cam to the head unit display; it was always on the MFD up top.

You may have some settings in the Kenwood unit for the Forester - access to some of those hidden features, for example. On my 2014, there is a passive alarm that you can set that can be set to auto arm without locking the doors, either immediate or after 30 seconds.

On my Kenwood DDX396, I hit the settings icon from the home page -

View attachment 570983

Then you should see SYSTEM and then "FORESTER" or similar and from there, you can access different options; some are the same settings in the MFD programming, some not.

View attachment 570988

View attachment 570991

So that's how you MIGHT be able to find the settings for the back up camera. Not sure if you tried that but ...
Thank you, I will take a look at this in my head unit and see if there is anything similiar.

· Registered
2017 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the DDX5707S nunikt installed. I still have the backup lines, which are fine. Problem is the Red light on starlink is on. I suspect they hooked it up wrong. They added another USB pigtail which I need to use for car play. Do you have to do than and is your starlink OK?
I dont see any lights on my starlink, then again after I didnt get the mandatory 3g upgrade things SOA sent out a few months ago, I havent messed with the starlink stuff and cancelled my subscription.

· Registered
2017 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know how to replicate the guides going away issue that Ive seen in a few other posts?
Ive tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal (only for about 5 minutes or so but will try for a longer period this weekend), no luck besides having to reset the clock in the MFD.
I also tried disconnecting the camera itself in the tailgate for about an hour but it also retained the OEM backup lines, unfortunately.

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
The back up lines are probably a part of the programming of the interface between the camera and the MFD or the other head unit display. There should be an option in the vehicle set up menus to disable, but... Like I said, my Kenwood offered other program hacks that are NOT visible with the normal options through the MFD set up or probably even through the stock touch-screen unit. If your new head unit can't find it, you may have to reinstall the stock unit and go into the dealer and ask them to turn it off (if it is a dealer switchable hidden option) and then install the Kenwood back again.

· Registered
2020 Forester
121 Posts
Hello,
I recently replaced my headunit with a Kenwood DMX907S and love it but there is a problem I noticed.
I tired searching the forums and saw how to get into the 'secret menu' and could turn them off there.
Does anyone know how to remove the factory backup guides without having to re-install the OEM 7 inch non-nav headunit?

Here is the image shown with the Kenwood backup lines (which i enjoy as it moves with the steering wheel) along with the factory backup lines.
View attachment 570980

View attachment 570981

But here is my setup
Kenwood DMX9702
Maestro RR
Maestro HRN-RR-SU2
Scosche SU2031B

Thank you in advance
Hello,

View attachment 570980

View attachment 570981

But here is my setup
Kenwood DMX9702
Maestro RR
Maestro HRN-RR-SU2
Scosche SU2031B

Thank you in advance
Do the backup lines on your installation curve with the steering wheel input?

· Registered
2017 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The back up lines are probably a part of the programming of the interface between the camera and the MFD or the other head unit display. There should be an option in the vehicle set up menus to disable, but... Like I said, my Kenwood offered other program hacks that are NOT visible with the normal options through the MFD set up or probably even through the stock touch-screen unit. If your new head unit can't find it, you may have to reinstall the stock unit and go into the dealer and ask them to turn it off (if it is a dealer switchable hidden option) and then install the Kenwood back again.
Do the backup lines on your installation curve with the steering wheel input?
The ones from the head unit do but the ones from the camera dont

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,590 Posts
I dont see any lights on my starlink, then again after I didnt get the mandatory 3g upgrade things SOA sent out a few months ago, I havent messed with the starlink stuff and cancelled my subscription.
Well the cost was (I believe $35) per year. Well worth it for me.

· Registered
2018 Forester Black Ed. CVT
14 Posts
Hello,

View attachment 570980

View attachment 570981

But here is my setup
Kenwood DMX9702
Maestro RR
Maestro HRN-RR-SU2
Scosche SU2031B

Thank you in advance
I’ve got the same HU on my 2018, and I’m not able to remove those lines. Haven’t figured out a way to do it via the settings and such. I also don’t remember any settings on the OEM headunit to remove it, so I’m not sure if it’s something that can be done?

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,592 Posts
There are settings on the OEM head unit, if you go into the service menu. (Press and hold "HOME" while tapping the right dial/button 5 times.) There are two settings. One to display or remove the "CAUTION" bar at the bottom of the camera display, which gives you a better view of what is directly behind your bumper. The other one is called "Guide Line" or something similar, and I think it just displays or removes a couple of "distance" marks that are shown with the guide lines. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the lines completely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts