Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is best to watch a few instruction videos on you tube before you try this, easily the toughest spark plug job I have done in 35 years of doing my own on diverse vehicles. Most of the work is having to get things out of the way. However removing the coils from each plug was extremely hard, it didn't feel like the factory believed in dielectric grease. You keep wriggling them and praying, tried pliers and screw driver, gently, gently! Always aware that too much force and you'll be buying coils. A small piece of wire still came out welded on the factory plug but when I shined a light inside the coils they all looked exactly the same inside. So I took a chance, and am now getting lots of power and no check engine light. There is dielectric on them now! And anti-seize now on the threads, one plug was particularly hard to get out. This is a car at 59k the first change and it did not feel like the factory did things right.
I chose a top of the line new Autolite Iridium Ultra plug made for the FB25, Advance Auto #A15683 which is supposed to go 100k plus miles. I hope so, my whole body hurts.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,249 Posts
Done the old EJ engines a number of times. But they were easier than the GM transverse V-6's. They were a challenge. But like anything else your fingers learn to to the job.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I'd have to agree, hardest plug job I've ever done.
I busted, just a bit, the insulator on one plug as I was trying to remove it with the socket on.

I couldn't quite make the turn out of the hole with the frame right there, finding out that plugs do not bend well.

Had to buy another plug and reinstall when misfire told me damage was too much.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
538 Posts
I chose a top of the line new Autolite Iridium Ultra plug made for the FB25, Advance Auto #A15683 which is supposed to go 100k plus miles. I hope so, my whole body hurts.
They will be lifetime plugs, IMHO. I put Iridium plugs in my '99 (now 230k miles) at head gasket work mileage ~65,000 and don't plan to do it again until/if head gasket work is done again.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Depends on how you define lifetime... changed mine @ 50 k miles will check a couple of the easy ones @ 130 k. I think they say 100k mile lifeforthe best Iridium plugs.

One of the OE plugs I pulled only had a gap of 0.010". Fire that robot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts