Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to owning a forester. I just picked up my first a month ago and it's a 2017 XT touring. I love it and have been modding away with it but I just have a couple questions I couldn't find on the forum. I currently have these tail lights:

Unfortunately the plug in the USDM version doesn't utilize the rear fog LED's of these lights:

I found a wiring harness on japan parts but the issue I'm running into is that I'm not sure if this will work on the USDM version. I've emailed Yuki from Japan parts but he can't assure me either. I've also seen videos on subispeed.com with their forester ts that has these similar tail lights which function with the rear fogs and I've emailed them about it as well but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone have more experience with JDM to USDM and specifically from Japan parts ? Since there's no refund I don't want to go crazy ordering body kits and other JDM pieces if they aren't going to fit the USDM version of my XT. Thanks for looking and I appreciate any help. Happy trails.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
38 Posts
These are not JDM tail lights, they are a brand called Colin Shread.

See this thread:

" HotShot308 said:
What activates the rear fog? Will they work on a USDM vehicle?
Since USDM Forester doesn't come standard w/ rear fog. We need to run a wire from rear fog to front fog switch in order to activate the rear fog function! "

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Roo_Ster Thank you ! This issue has been driving me mad since these lights were expensive. I'm gonna talk to some shops around here about running that wire. Thanks again !

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Be aware. Some jurisdictions do not like rear “fog lights” - they confuse people even when run correctly.

I know, I got stopped numerous times with my Volvo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be aware. Some jurisdictions do not like rear “fog lights” - they confuse people even when run correctly.

I know, I got stopped numerous times with my Volvo.
Thank you for the tip ! In that case I might have them wired into the brake light because they are very bright.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the time to read through that whole thread that @Roo_Ster linked which was very informative thanks again. It appears I have the second gen Colin Shread lights as these are sequential and the brake lights illuminate differently. Although I'm unsure whether it's better to solder/splice into the tail light harness or the vehicle harness, I understand running rear fogs in the US and specifally NY would probably not be the best idea. I do however want to utilize the full function of these lights so I will be tapping or soldering into a harness so I can have the rear fogs function with the break lights.

Since we're talking about rear fogs, what are people's opinions on replacing the lower reflector with functioning rear fogs / brake light which is a common mod I see and plan to do soon with a smoked out version. Is that not illegal as well ? Or because it's further away from the main assembly and not as bright while running it's generally overlooked ?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Since we're talking about rear fogs, what are people's opinions on replacing the lower reflector with functioning rear fogs / brake light which is a common mod I see and plan to do soon with a smoked out version. Is that not illegal as well ? Or because it's further away from the main assembly and not as bright while running it's generally overlooked ?
Most states would say you cannot make ANY alterations to either your headlights or your taillight. They must remain SAE certified and non-modified. I remember my brother (awhile ago) with a new Camaro he had payed a pretty penny to have tinted all the way around. About an hour after getting it done, a state trooper pulled him over and made him rip off and destroy his new covers.

At any time you might run into a police officer who doesn’t like what you did and right or wrong might apply his/her own “justice”. I would think adding lighting would be generally overlooked, masking, tinting or in anyway diminishing output would be suspect.

just stay away from adding odd (illegal) colors to the wrong parts of your car - I.e. no red lights on your grille...🤔

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most states would say you cannot make ANY alterations to either your headlights or your taillight. They must remain SAE certified and non-modified. I remember my brother (awhile ago) with a new Camaro he had payed a pretty penny to have tinted all the way around. About an hour after getting it done, a state trooper pulled him over and made him rip off and destroy his new covers.

At any time you might run into a police officer who doesn’t like what you did and right or wrong might apply his/her own “justice”. I would think adding lighting would be generally overlooked, masking, tinting or in anyway diminishing output would be suspect.

just stay away from adding odd (illegal) colors to the wrong parts of your car - I.e. no red lights on your grille...🤔
Yeah I hear what you're saying. I don't really want to do anything unnecessary. Basically just in the process of trying to get the full function out of these lights so that they both light up when I brake including the lower rear fogs on the bumper.
20200401_170758.jpg
20200401_170752.jpg

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Combining those two pairs of lights would be very easy, just take the fog wire and tap into the brake light line. That’s about as easy as it gets! (Assuming you do it in a safe/solid manner)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts