Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it need treating? It's drivers side door. Hard to see under the black plastic. It's been there since I bought it second hand in 2017... Not getting noticeably bigger really
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
How do I fix it? Do I strip the plastic off it? Will it go back on easy?

Where I live January regularly hit minus 30 C, and we had over 150 consecutive days of 1" or more snow on the ground this year. So yeah lots of salt and rusted cars

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
Likely the cancer started underneath the area where you see it, and has spread above.
Perhaps there is a drain issue on the door, where moisture can't escape that cased the original problem.
The good news is the cancer can't spread beyond the door.
The door might be able to be salvaged if there is any actual metal under that corrosion, but it looks pretty severe.
With any rust fix, you have to remove all of the rust or replace the part for a long term fix.
The problem isn't the plastic... it's what is under it. At this point, it appears more cosmetic, but likely not a cheap fix.
Take a look at a Subaru parts store online and see what parts are available...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,356 Posts
If you look closely the cancer has pushed the rubber seal out ... allowing more water/moisture to get in.

It’s gonna get much worse

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are there guys who can fix this? Or just buy an entire new door? I live in Ottawa Canada. Or do I just wait until it rusts thru and forces me to fix it? It's 2014 110km with 0 trouble til now. Bits and pieces are starting to rust and break. I've treated it every winter I had it for rust proof but I got it 2 years old

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Somewhere I read in another rusty thread that it should be covered for5 yrs,,, maybe 50000.
I would call SOA about possible warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
The corrosion warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage from the first date the car was sold.
Since it is a 2014 car, it is possible that warranty coverage is still in effect... or not.
An original sale date after 9/29/14 might be covered, but a sale before that date is out of luck.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring CVT
98 Posts
I wrote in another thread that I have the same problem but much worst. Subaru declined to help out, as rust warranty is applicable at that location. Lower body panels is what they refer to I was told. I had quotes around $ 2,000 and up to $ 4,000 to repair, the higher was for a replacement door and having to blend in the rear door and front panel to match. I have the Pearl White which is hard to blend. My car was garage kept and detailed every two years. By the time the black part was noticed, it was too late.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts