Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
None
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Forrester, 60K miles. About a week ago, the AC started cutting out occasionally, usually for a minute or so. Fan is blowing, indicator light is on but the air is warm; seems the compressor is not running. May be more common on hot humid days, but I might just be noticing it more in those conditions. It always comes back on within a few minutes. When it’s working, which is most of the time, it works great.

Any likely suspects? Sensors, relays or switches? I did try removing the relay in the fuse block and putting it back in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
822 Posts
Check out the thread below, although if you still are (just) under warranty I'd let the dealer deal with it. Please let us know (over there) if this was the issue with your relatively young vehicle.

·
Registered
None
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ILuv. I did look at those, but was a bit hesitant to take off the clutch. I also wasn’t sure if it all applies to the 2017; my AC compressor looks somewhat different from the pictures in those threads.

I assume this is not a warranty item as I have 60,000 miles. It also seemed that the vehicles in the clutch problems thread had a lot more miles on them - could my clutch be worn in only 60K?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The AC in my '19 Sport was randomly going off and on; everything was working but it was blowing ambient (warm in 90* heat) air. Service Dept said the mechanicals were fine. But they replaced a sensor that was a known problem. AC worked great in the shop but continued to randomly malfunction for me. After almost a week with the service techs, it was discovered that the replacement sensor was a bad one and needed to be replaced. Since that was done, all is well. So far :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
IDK where it is, but it's the AC pressure switch which was replaced under a TSB, and then the AC pressure sensor ( not the sensor twice as in my previous post). Paperwork says the sensor was replaced according to technical service bulletin 10-93-19. Service dept evacuated and recharged the system.

If anyone can tell me how to read the service invoice for parts numbers, I'd be happy to post.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I'm no AC expert but I take it that the AC clutch isn't spinning when this happens? Can you carefully press on it while it is running to see whether it wants to engage? If it does, perhaps it needs to be reshimmed - it wears over time.

·
Registered
None
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Remco. I haven’t been able to see that, but I suspect it is not spinning. It doesn’t happen that often, and I’m usually driving down the highway when it does cut out. I would like to try that if I can. I suppose one could press it with a stick or a screwdriver to try engaging it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts