Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring that I purchased back in March and for a week or so now, I have noticed that the turbo psi is hanging a bit high from the -13 psi I died to see when I'm at idle or just released the accelerator. It now just rests at -8 and -9 then sometimes drop to -11, but hasn't reached -13 psi in a while. I do hear a new noise that's very faint when I'm idling or slow crawling when backing up or just crawling forward. It comes and goes, so it's not constant, but it does bother me. This whole thing bothers me and I want to take it in, but I don't really have the money to spend on getting it looked at the moment. So, I'm wanting to ask people here who may have had the same experience as mine. The sound is like an engine tick, but faint. It's not up in your face saying that it's there. It's like a soft whisper; like a dog breathing in a quiet room馃槀. So, has anyone had the same experience or know why my car is being like this?

Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
First time turbo owner eh?

I'm about 90% sure your engine is fine. At idle you should be pulling negative vacuum. It would never be a consistent number it will always move around depending on lots of factors. But if you are around -10 or there's about, its fine.

The other 10% is that you may have a slight boost leak. The most popular culprit is the blow off valve hose clamps. You can see youtube vids and diy it or give it the wiggle test. Or take it to a local mechanic with good reviews. Could a lot cheaper just to have them check it out.

Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring
Discussion Starter #3
Or Definitely a first time turbo owner馃槀. My first car was a 2002 Toyota Avalon that had the naturally aspirated V6, so yeah. I didn't know that it wouldn't be a consistent number. I always thought it had to be consistent every single time other than temperature because that can always fluctuate. Thank you for telling me this. I feel more at ease and I will check out how I can see if I have a boost leak or not.馃槀

Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
I think that's about where mine runs at. -11 is the lowest I have ever seen mine. Thats coasting.

Registered
2017 Forester XT
Hi, I own a 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring that I purchased back in March and for a week or so now, I have noticed that the turbo psi is hanging a bit high from the -13 psi I died to see when I'm at idle or just released the accelerator. It now just rests at -8 and -9 then sometimes drop to -11, but hasn't reached -13 psi in a while. I do hear a new noise that's very faint when I'm idling or slow crawling when backing up or just crawling forward. It comes and goes, so it's not constant, but it does bother me. This whole thing bothers me and I want to take it in, but I don't really have the money to spend on getting it looked at the moment. So, I'm wanting to ask people here who may have had the same experience as mine. The sound is like an engine tick, but faint. It's not up in your face saying that it's there. It's like a soft whisper; like a dog breathing in a quiet room馃槀. So, has anyone had the same experience or know why my car is being like this?
I also own a '17, from new, now at 55,000 miles. I don't think I've ever noticed a manifold pressure as low as minus 13psi. I did, back in 2017, have the loose-exhaust-manifold-nut problem happen, which caused a raucous exhaust leak but only at full throttle. The car seemed normal at all other conditions. I never managed to look at the boost gauge when doing that kind of driving. During this year (2020) Subaru has had a recall for the FXT exhaust manifold nut problem so you should definitely ensure your car has had that no-cost check done. Another idea is to check the "analog boost gauge" screen where you'll see a historic peak boost pressure recorded, which you can reset. This might possibly show any anomaly you might have, but I can't tell you how to interpret it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts