Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or did I ?
Opinions?

My Subaru dealer. $600
I see no witness marks at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
New fluid should not stink and will have the color of whatever fluid they put in there.

If you pulled the top(fill) plug , you could suck some out with a cheapy fluid pump from your FLAPS.

WITH same pump, you could change the fluid out, if you so desired. I believe a quart is more than enough to get it flowing.out the fill hole-wheenyou stop pumping.

Are you in USA?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New fluid should not stink and will have the color of whatever fluid they put in there.

If you pulled the top(fill) plug , you could suck some out with a cheapy fluid pump from your FLAPS.

WITH same pump, you could change the fluid out, if you so desired. I believe a quart is more than enough to get it flowing.out the fill hole-wheenyou stop pumping.

Are you in USA?
Yes. NJ

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Yes. NJ

Ok then your front diff fill plug is on passenger side.There are two plugs on bottom of front diff...one labeled CHECK which overflows once you have enough 75-90 in there. The other is the drain.

The trans drain is on the bottom of the pan and the fill for the trans is on the driver side of the diff.
Lots of write ups on this subject in these forums...

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
365 Posts
Ok then your front diff fill plug is on passenger side.There are two plugs on bottom of front diff...one labeled CHECK which overflows once you have enough 75-90 in there. The other is the drain.

The trans drain is on the bottom of the pan and the fill for the trans is on the driver side of the diff.
Lots of write ups on this subject in these forums...
Pilot isn't asking how to change the fluid. He is commenting that he just paid $600 to the stealership to change the fluids, and it certainly looks like they did not. There are no witness marks from the allen-head sockets, no oil residue in the road crust around the plugs, and no sign of wiping any oil off the rear. I'm with you Pilot.... they didn't do the job (on that rear anyway).

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
The front is a lot easier to check. Just pull the dipstick. If it isn't REALLY clean, a stealership strikes again...

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Im glad I didn’t call the dealer half cocked.
Like you fellas advised I open the rear fill plug.
Out came obviously brand new almost clear gear oil.
So, I was fooled, they did do it thankfully.
Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have changed front diff oils and the transfer case oils and they were so clean I could have put them back in, the rear diff showed some age but by looking sometimes you can't tell the age of the oil especially in diffs...I changed them regardless because the previous owner told me they were due and that he hadn't done them..

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
I have changed front diff oils and the transfer case oils and they were so clean I could have put them back in, the rear diff showed some age but by looking sometimes you can't tell the age of the oil especially in diffs...I changed them regardless because the previous owner told me they were due and that he hadn't done them..
That's unusual ime, but can happen.

@OP, pull fill plug, dip fingertip inside the hole to see cleanliness of fluid, sniff it to smell if it's used and nasty too. That's how I do it. Glad it's resolved though.

·
Read Only
2018 Forester base 6 speed
23 Posts
No dipstick on my '17 with CVT( maybe different year or the standard AT has the dipstick)..just a fill plug on either side of the diff: DS fills trans,....... PS fills diff.

wow... Maybe I am old school, BUT........... if I spend that much and get fluids changed I would have the shop come get me and show me what they are doing while it is apart so I can see it for myself OR if I drop the car off I would at least have them take pictures of my car apart and send them to me or give them to me with my bill so I can see what they did and then would know I got what I paid for

Just how I do things I guess.

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Well, Im glad I didn’t call the dealer half cocked.
Like you fellas advised I open the rear fill plug.
Out came obviously brand new almost clear gear oil.
So, I was fooled, they did do it thankfully.
Thanks for the input fellas.

That pic does look a little suss, I would of thought there would of been signs of oil residue from draining and refilling of maybe they used brake cleaner or something to clean it but I'm still on the fence. It does look like they may have checked the tightness of the plugs tho.
I've changed my rear diff oil and it came out pretty clean but the front diff oil was dirty compared to the rear. How's the front drain plug and oil look?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts