Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car is sleeping outside and not too far from a railroad crossing (Subways in Tokyo). Since the past 2 years, my car has accumulated rust like spots (tiny ones) on the chrome elements around the windows. Sometimes a good rub with a finger is enough, but for some of these spots, it seems that my finger is not enough... Any ideas?

Is something like Mothers Clay Kit can help? [ame]Robot Check

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
756 Posts
Are you sure it's actually rust? No car out there today actually has any "Chrome" parts, ie metal parts, parts are now made of plastic to look like "Chrome". And for that matter if this was an actual "Chrome" part, it should not rust. Sounds like some sort of "stain"?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
307 Posts
If the material is in fact chrome, or some other type of plated or polished metal, four aught steel wool and soapy water will do the trick.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
482 Posts
It’s not your car rusting but tiny bits of rail dust on your car which is. This is on most cars, from brake rotor dust, but you’ll have more from the rail dust. These tiny very jagged particles get hooked into your car and then get moist and starts to rust. This makes the orange dots you see. And as they rust they expand locking them onto the paint. I live no where near railroad tracks but get these tiny orange dots on my white cars. They are there on all cars but are hard to see on non light colored cars.

To remove you can use a clay bar, but... you have have to work the clay bar aggressively to get it all and that car mar your paint and other surfaces. And you may be just breaking off the tips of the particles. So the proper way to “decontaminate” is to use an iron remover. There are a bunch on the market, I use a product called Iron X. You spray it on and it dissolves the iron particles. You’ll see the iron bits turn the solution turn purple. By dissolving most of the bits, most will simple wash off when you rinse off the iron remover. Any remaining bits will come off easier now when you clay bar the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. As far as I know, there are different services that you can order to solve this problem. I guess that you are going to need special equipment in order to remove that rust. It's much easier to order some cleaning services like Window Cleaners Leeds - Domestic & Commercial Window Cleaning. These are professionals, they really know their job, and are going to do everything that you need. I think that it is the best option for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. As far as I know, there are different services that you can order to solve this problem. I guess that you are going to need special equipment in order to remove that rust. It's much easier to order some cleaning services like Window Cleaners Leeds - Domestic & Commercial Window Cleaning. These are professionals, they really know their job, and are going to do everything that you need. I think that it is the best option for you.
Have you tried to do that by yourself without asking a company to do that for you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
LOL, not sure if serious..... there is nothing they can do, that you can not do yourself

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
482 Posts
No special equipment ....
And this is a car detaling issue not a window cleaning issue.
Iron remover, clay bar and clay lube. $30 worth of stuff that will last you a while.
Or any car detailer will know what to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts