Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Forester here, got the All Weather Package (love the heated seats). We're having an unusual cold spell here in the Puget Sound area and my windshield wiper fluid has been freezing overnight. It is not unfreezing in the length of time it takes me to get to work (25-30 mins). I can hear the pump going, and it's not empty. Today the rear windshield fluid was running by the time I got to work, but the front still wasn't.

I can't find much info online about how the AWP items actually work. I had a vague idea that the windshield wiper fluid jets themselves should be heated, but now all I can find is a description that sounds like there's a heated part of the windshield where the wipers rest. Is that right?

Also, what triggers the defrosting mirrors, and is it just driver's side or both?

Obv will look into getting lower temp rated washer fluid but I'm curious about how my car is supposed to work! Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
635 Posts
Check your owner's manual to be sure but I think there is a heated part of the windshield where the wipers rest, and heated side mirrors. Also there are the defrost lines on the back window. I do not believe any part of the fluid system is heated, and you have to just use fluid that is rated for the temperatures that the car will be in.

To activate any of the glass heaters, you press a button. If you have the appropriate trim level, you can set a timer for these heaters, or have them "always on." Check the owner's manual for more info.

Of course there's also the environmental controls that can be used to blow warm air on the inside of the windshield and a bit on the side windows.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
287 Posts
On mine, the front defrost also heats the glass. The rear defrost also heats the mirrors.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I dug back in to the owner's manual and tracked it down. Looks like the rear defrost button activates both the mirrors and the windshield wiper defrost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
2017 Forester here, got the All Weather Package (love the heated seats). We're having an unusual cold spell here in the Puget Sound area and my windshield wiper fluid has been freezing overnight. It is not unfreezing in the length of time it takes me to get to work (25-30 mins). I can hear the pump going, and it's not empty. Today the rear windshield fluid was running by the time I got to work, but the front still wasn't.

I can't find much info online about how the AWP items actually work. I had a vague idea that the windshield wiper fluid jets themselves should be heated, but now all I can find is a description that sounds like there's a heated part of the windshield where the wipers rest. Is that right?

Also, what triggers the defrosting mirrors, and is it just driver's side or both?

Obv will look into getting lower temp rated washer fluid but I'm curious about how my car is supposed to work! Thanks in advance for any info.
1. Go to Walmart, or similar
2. Buy a gallon of washer fluid with freezing point down to -20 or -30F
3. Add fluid to reservoir
4. Problem solved with the application of $ 1.99

1 - 5 of 5 Posts