Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

not sure if this has been asked/discussed.
the 2019 WRX/STI have android auto and apple carplay and the size of the entire stereo is the same as the 2014+ forester.

do you guys think it'll be an easy plug and play? I currently have 2017+ nav/HK model, if i find a 2019 wrx model with nav/HK, would it work?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
While the Impreza forms the base for both the WRX and the Forester, I would say "MAYBE" or "NO". here's why -

First - the SJ series Forester (2014 - 2018) has 2 different center stacks - the "first gen" used a double-din square radio face in a single panel that also housed the HVAC controls (bottom) and the center vents (top) and the hazard button. If equipped with the Harman Kardon touch screen unit (with NAV) that trim panel is different - but the same. There is a depression in the center that surrounds the stereo head unit instead of being flat (as below). The reverse/back up camera put the image in the center MFD (multi-function display).

<< with Harman Kardon system >>

The 2nd gen (2017 and 2018) used a different head unit and set up - it was a touch screen face - and the trim panel was now 2 sections: one with the vents, hazard and info switches, and the 2nd had the touchscreen radio and HVAC controls. The info toggle in the center (under hazards) was for the control of the MFD above with the temps and MPG and other systems. The reverse camera moved to the head unit, as well. Some sources may show this also for 2016, but others do not.

The layout of the touch screen is different for HK/Nav units vs non-nav/HK.

WRX for 2019 (and also 2018 and 2020) is similar to the 2nd generation SJ Forester - touch screen head unit, 2 piece center stack panel, etc..

So just as a "fit" issue - yes, a 2019 WRX unit would fit in a 2017 Forester. But not an earlier SJ Forester.

The next issue, however, is the plugs and connections on the back of the radio. If you don't have Nav but the new one does, or other features on one vs the other, it may not work as the connectors could be different and unique, based more upon the options on the head unit and less on the vehicle type...

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
288 Posts
Following the space as I would love to upgrade my 17 Harman kardon non nav system to one with Android auto

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
I don't think that the WRX set up has Android auto.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
117 Posts
I think the info I posted on SubaruOutback.org might be just what you're looking for. Here's the link:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts