Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 XT touring. Has 40k miles on it. 6 weeks ago, I got a check engine light and also eyesight and all were disabled automatically. Took it to the dealer as I still had warranty. They said they couldn’t find anything and were able to turn off the check engine light thing and gave it back saying if I get the issue again, then bring it in. This was in the morning. By that day afternoon, i got it again.

Next day I took it to the dealer. They gave me a free rental and said they will let me know what they find. A week goes by and I get a call that they are really tied up and will take a look at my car next.

Second week, I get a call that they found metal in the engine. They don’t know how it got there and the technician is looking into it. Two weeks go by and no call from them. I call them to see what’s going on. They say they have to rebuild a new engine and that there is another car ahead of me and they will get mine done next.

I called subaru usa and told them what happened. They promise to check and call me. No call for another week. I email subaru usa and yesterday got a reply that said dealer hasn’t even started work on my car yet and it might be another two weeks before I get any info.

I am now annoyed/pissed. I miss my XT and I want my car soon. They won’t tell me properly wth is wrong with the car.

Since they knew I was annoyed, they “upgraded” my rental from outback to ascent. I told them thanks but I still would like my XT ASAP.

Anyone had similar issue? Why are they not telling me what the issue is exactly? Can I go in and request to see the car and ask the mechanic directly? What can i do or what should I do (other than starting to shop for a new car😡)?

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
891 Posts
Man, I think you likely got a good but very busy dealer. They say they're going to rebiuld your engine at warranty expense and you get to put all your miles on a hi quality loaner - I'd be all over that. The delay here is truly amazing, yes, but this is the top of the economic cycle and workers are said to be in short supply.

Give them a month and them complain again. You've got a good loaner, right? Can you move up your vacation trip and put the miles on their car?

·
Registered
2019 Touring
37 Posts
Why are they not telling me what the issue is exactly?
If they haven’t started work on your vehicle then they can’t really know what’s happened to the engine other than the obvious, it’s a goner. Huge bummer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the ascent yesterday but I hear ya 😀.

I miss my XT a bit much so i am whining 🤣.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts