Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On thanksgiving my car was stolen. The keys the police did not recover. My 1 year old flushed my other keys down the toilet. My local subaru dealer told me $110 for a replacement valet key but they're telling me it has to be programmed is this true or is it something I can do? Can i have them make a new key and then drive my car? I was using my valet key before it was flushed. But i have no keys and the dealer is now trying to tell me i have to have them take out my dash and send it to subaru. $307 for the labor, $100 shipping, $250 for new key, and $30 for reprogram. This happened after i had my car towed to the dealership that the price went from $140 for the very key and programming to over $700. Can i just purchase the $110 valet key and avoid the $700? I feel like the dealer is trying to take advantage of me knowing i have no keys and the car already being towed to the dealership.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Kjkaufman1 Why not call another dealership to get a price quote for the same thing? That dealer won't know your car is stuck without keys. Then you can tell if the first one is being fair on the price.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
111 Posts
Kjkaufman1---I suspect that you've already discovered that you cannot program a valet key (or a regular key) yourself. If you still have the key ID info that would have come with the car when new, that would help greatly for getting new keys. If you don't have that and have no keys, then I can see how some of your vehicle would need to be sent to Subaru. The dealership would not be able to solve that problem. That would be a worst case scenario for getting replacement keys. Look at the positive side of this---if your one year old child can already flush the toilet, they are probably well on their way to becoming toilet trained.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
830 Posts
Sorry to hear of your situation. You might also try a well-equipped locksmith - without an existing key the reprogramming is no longer simple, as an anti-theft measure. If you have insurance on your vehicle, that might cover the cost of this "repair" since the original key was stolen with the vehicle but not recovered. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts