Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
799 Posts
I have 2017 2.5i Premium and see my first recall notice in my subaru.com
Nothing much in there except the name...2017 Forester CVTF Top Off all other are listed "TBD"
I was on call with SOA for another matter and she mentioned about this..that Dealer need to perform some tests and based on which they will top off CVT fuilds..
I am like what....

Did any one of guys have this ?
I did and I had it done. They said the CVT fluid was two ???? hairs low and topped it off. Drives the same.

·
Registered
2017 Premium with ES CVT
284 Posts
I do see some reference that fluid needs to be cool down etc.Is this really needed.I have an appointment and plan to drive like 20 minutes to reach there . SA guy mentioned this would be 30 minutes job and just need to top off fluid..
No loaner for me.. :(

·
Registered
2017 Forester
8 Posts
Would Be Nice If Dealers Were Consistent

Took my local dealer several days to find this recall, and on a car that's only 6 weeks old with just over 2000 miles. Made an appointment, BUT was told that the car must sit for 3 hours before the fluid could be checked and then it would only take about 15 min. Not a big deal if there were lots of Subaru dealers but there's only one in Columbia SC and it's 50 minutes from my house. Hour there, hour back, three hours at the dealer. Fortunately, I'm retired; but I don't know how someone with a job would manage this. Based on what I'm reading here, maybe it doesn't need to sit for 3 hours; or is my dealer right and others are getting this checked too soon so the fluid is not being topped all the way? Either way, sure would be nice if all these dealers would get on the same page. Subaru, I think this should come from you so they all get and communicate the same info.

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
799 Posts
Took my local dealer several days to find this recall, and on a car that's only 6 weeks old with just over 2000 miles. Made an appointment, BUT was told that the car must sit for 3 hours before the fluid could be checked and then it would only take about 15 min. Not a big deal if there were lots of Subaru dealers but there's only one in Columbia SC and it's 50 minutes from my house. Hour there, hour back, three hours at the dealer. Fortunately, I'm retired; but I don't know how someone with a job would manage this. Based on what I'm reading here, maybe it doesn't need to sit for 3 hours; or is my dealer right and others are getting this checked too soon so the fluid is not being topped all the way? Either way, sure would be nice if all these dealers would get on the same page. Subaru, I think this should come from you so they all get and communicate the same info.
I showed up 45 minutes early since the drive to the dealer is about 1 hour & 15 min. and was told it would be only a 30 min. job. I was in and out in about 45 min. so the 3 hour sounds a bit much.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
27 Posts
I had mine done yesterday. I was first told it would take an hour and a half when I called to make the appointment. When I arrived, I was told two hours. I live 50 miles away from the dealer, and they gave me a loaner to use in town (shopping, lunch, etc.) while I waited. All total, it took over 3 hours. I was told the transmission had to be hot to top it off. Then it had to cool down completely, and they were to check the level again. Since I didn't hang around, I really don't know what they did. I can't say I was happy about the long time it too to do the job.

·
Registered
2017 forester
18 Posts
2017 forester recall, tranny fluid

Got a call from my dealer to set up an appointment to get the tranny fluid topped off. It seems some came off the line with not enough fluid. Getting a call from the dealer instead of a letter concerns me. They wanted my car as soon as possible. I have 3000 miles on it. Wondering if there could be long term effects on the tranny? Anyone else get a call? or letter?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,054 Posts
When I called for appointment, they knew what it was and said "we will have to get you a loaner car as your car must sit for awhile to cool down because in order to do the recall correctly, the transmission must be at a certain temp" . And that temp is not operating or even close to it (so I was told).
On my repair order I dropped my car off at 0830 and the took it in at 1330 (1:30)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Touring CVT
1,205 Posts
...........They wanted my car as soon as possible. I have 3000 miles on it. Wondering if there could be long term effects on the tranny? Anyone else get a call? or letter?
I doubt there will be long term effects, but if there is - it will be well documented which will be in your favor. As far as a call instead of a letter that is a plus - get it taken care of before any damage can occur. JMO

·
Premium Member
2016 Forester Premium CVT
116 Posts
Last weekend I had to take my wife's '17 in for the recall. It took about 3 hours total, but they had given me a loaner so we did some shopping and picked it up when finished. They reported that the fluid level was just below the full level and they topped it off, it would probably not have been an issue. The service manager said they have to let it cool to 90 deg before checking.

Overall, I am happy that Subaru took the step of issuing a recall. IMHO it is better to be sure your fluid level is correct than to take the risk. The Forester is a significant investment and this is just a step in taking care of it. It was better to spend the 3 hours having it checked than have the CVT fail.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
4 Posts
Me too

Just rolled 5000 miles and got the recall letter. Based on this forum I'm not the only one. :frown2:

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5ipremium CVT
13 Posts
CVT fluid level FYI!!

Just got a letter in the mail today.... CVT fluid may have been under filled at the factory. Anyone experiencing CVT issues? Letter states vacuum type noise or chain slip under heavy load may be indicative of low fill Level. Subaru dealers to check and fill cvt fluid on affected vehicles (tried to attach image of letter but file size was too large) '17 Forester 2.5i premium vehicle mfr date 5/16

·
Registered
595 Posts
This could be a huge mess! The CVT is very picky about fluid level, I wonder how many transmissions will be damaged by this?

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Won't be able to take mine in for another week, and I've already got 4000 miles on it in my almost 3 months of ownership... Luckily I've not experienced anything they've said may happen. CVT seems to function as it should so fingers crossed it won't need filled, or worse, replaced.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring SBM Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
260 Posts
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/wtj-70-service-campaign-my-17-forester-cvt-low-fluid-level-merged-thread-627386/

So I was aware of this recall before they applied it to my vehicle. Shortly after they updated my vehicle as affected by the recall on mysubaru.com I took it into the dealer to be filled. I already drove 6300 miles with it and was pretty irritated about the whole thing.

I spoke with the mechanic that worked on my forester and he said it was only a few ounces low. So that's a relief! It doesn't drive any different and the whole thing took a total of an hour from when I arrived to when I left. I'm only a few miles from the dealership so the tranny temp/cool down time wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the letter. Hope it's legible! Also of note, it will allegedly take longer than the 45 minutes this letter claims. The dealer I bought from said fluid level must be taken at ambient temperature which according to them is 6 hours after driving, so they suggested leaving my vehicle over night to be checked "first thing in the morning" (right...)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
86 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium - I got the campaign/recall letter in the mail yesterday and called the dealer today - they said bring it in so I took it this afternoon. It took about 3 hours - they DID find that the fluid was low in mine. He said its a process to add fluid to these CVTs, they have to warm it then let it sit then add, etc. so that's why it took so long. I had been having some minor issues with my CVT since I bought it in July with being a little rough at times and experienced some shuddering at low speeds. On the way home this afternoon, it SEEMS to be much much smoother and (so far) the shuddering seems to be gone...not sure if this had anything to do with the low fluid level that is now fixed but it sure seems to be better....we'll see if it lasts. i'm hoping that driving it with low fluid now for several months has not caused any damage to the CVT.

·
Registered
2017 Forrester
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester 2.5 base model. I drive a lot of hill because I live in the mountains. There is close to 6K on the vehicle now. I am wondering if there is any damage that could occur, that may not be apparent now but that will show up later in the vehicle's life.

It seems to me that there is no way they can predict future damage to the vehicle due to this error, even if the vehicle is fine now. IF there was no CVT fluid in the tranny then it would surely cause damage, so at what level is the tranny FULLY proteced? It seems anything less than full and it is not fully protected. Because of this fact should Subaru not offer lifetime warranties on these transmissions or replace them fully?

41 - 60 of 133 Posts