Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to get this eBay grille for my SJ Forester:

Has anyone bought or seen it before? How’s the quality and fitment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
20 Posts
I bought that same one a while back after I tried sanding/priming/painting/clear coating the chrome trim black but the paint still wouldn't stick and would chip and flake with road debris. The fitment is surprisingly good. Only minor issue I had was the lower honeycomb part of the grill's tabs that "snap" into place on the bumper wasn't as tight as OEM. It didn't bother me because it's also held in by screws which keep it in place. It looks great!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
I bought that same one a while back after I tried sanding/priming/painting/clear coating the chrome trim black but the paint still wouldn't stick and would chip and flake with road debris.
I had the very same issue but a slightly different solution. I’ve had good luck with this one and liked the newer pattern. Fit and finish is excellent. You will need to switch over (carefully) your badging.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought that same one a while back after I tried sanding/priming/painting/clear coating the chrome trim black but the paint still wouldn't stick and would chip and flake with road debris. The fitment is surprisingly good. Only minor issue I had was the lower honeycomb part of the grill's tabs that "snap" into place on the bumper wasn't as tight as OEM. It didn't bother me because it's also held in by screws which keep it in place. It looks great!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you have to drop the bumper to install the front grille? I searched online and there seemed to be different opinions on whether dropping the bumper is req’d.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
20 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you have to drop the bumper to install the front grille? I searched online and there seemed to be different opinions on whether dropping the bumper is req’d.
No bumper drop. Everything could be done right under the hood.

·
Registered
2015 XTP Auto
12 Posts
saw this few days back too,
might share some pix of the installed grille?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just received the TS grille and it looks great!

Does anyone have the part number of the front emblem which would fit the TS grille ?

I tried to use back the original front emblem and it seems to be too small for the TS grille. Mine is a facelifted SJ forester.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to share, the part number for the correct emblem is 93013SG000. This is actually the front emblem for the pre-facelift SJ Forester and is bigger.

Also, I found the instructions and pictures in the below link to be very useful for a DIY noob like myself.

And a few things to watch out when replacing the grille:
  • Some of the stock plastic clips will break when you pry them off so be prepared to get a few spares ones to replace them. Granted my car is close to 4 years and the grille is in front of the engine bay which is rather hot, it is not unexpected that plastic clips become brittle and crack.
  • Be careful when you remove the original grille on your car. This is especially so for the upper chrome strip on the hood which has 6 (or 8?) plastic tabs holding plastic clips. I broke 3 of the plastic tabs when I removed the upper chrome strip.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
21 Posts
Just received the TS grille and it looks great!

Does anyone have the part number of the front emblem which would fit the TS grille ?

I tried to use back the original front emblem and it seems to be too small for the TS grille. Mine is a facelifted SJ forester.
Any luck finding an emblem? I want to change to STI grill as well, but want to find an emblem that fits before I order

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reused the emblem by braking the tabs off. Attached with gorilla mounting tape and a heat gun, unsure if will keep or buy the correct size.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
686 Posts
That's the grille my '15 XT Touring came with... except with chrome accents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts