Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Premium.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just got my 2017 2.5i premium. I was kicking around the idea of doing some of the 60K maintenance and after looking at how dirty the engine is, I noticed that maybe there is a cover missing? Can someone tell me the part number for the missing engine cover?

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,449 Posts
There is no cover (sadly).... The XT has a cover and the Outback has a cover but the Forester did not on the SJ generation. I've been wanting to find a similar aged Outback and see if the 2.5 cover will fit the Forester. But I don't think that they made a cover for the 2.5 Outback, just the 3.6 flat 6.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i limited. ice silver metallic. Gray leather. Eyesight. H/K audio.
2 Posts
@rideTHEvent If mine ever shows up i will.
Extremely disappointed with their shipping so far.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,449 Posts
That cover (sold by Subispeed and a few others) is not all that big - it basically replaces just the existing cover over the belts and pulleys and a bit more - but it's not all that big.

I was asking about it a few years back and they sent me this image -

So that's what you get for the price...

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
140 Posts
I found a picture of my 2016 Forester (2.5i, Premium) engine bay in this older comment here:

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,630 Posts
Thanks for showing the engine cover. That is ridiculous! That looks like a toy or photo shopped image. All that money for a tiny piece of plastic? I’ll pass.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,449 Posts
I was told (in the email chain) that it's a "great way to add a little JDM goodness" to my USDM Forester... Yeah, no. Just not worth it.

I want something like what was used on the XT or on the H6 Outback and newer Foresters.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
334 Posts
Why would you want to add a worthless plastic engine cover that will trap excess engine heat and accelerate deterioration of all the plastic electrical connectors and vacuum hoses??? Subaru was actually doing all it's owners a favor until 2019. If I were to buy a new Subaru, throwing that junk into my attic until I sold the car is the first modification I would do.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
164 Posts
I actually agree with @SueBrew . I take all my engine covers off all my cars.

On my N54 it's actually got a nice 1/2" thick piece of sound deadening to quite down the direct injectors but I'd rather deal with some ticking from the engine bay than replacing the plastic valve cover every 2 years because the heat makes it crack.

Subaru engine bays get nice and dirty because on the NA models with the cat up front close to the exhaust ports you now can't put an undertray on it. My 03 NA stays SOOOOO much cleaner than my 09 NA.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,449 Posts
I dunno about that last part - about how dirty the engine bays get... Mine stays pretty clean - even when I go out and off-road. Maybe the skid plate helps.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Premium.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That cover (sold by Subispeed and a few others) is not all that big - it basically replaces just the existing cover over the belts and pulleys and a bit more - but it's not all that big.

View attachment 555686

I was asking about it a few years back and they sent me this image -

View attachment 555689

So that's what you get for the price...

Wow. I guess that's all you can cover though based on the design. Nice touch though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts