Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for more leg room in my Foz and was wondering if the stop for the driver’s seat travel can be adjusted backwards to give more travel to the seat? I also have a 2016 Foz and noticed there’s way more room and seat travel on it than the 17.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
I'm going to say "no" - the seat tracks are what they are... What's the difference between your 2016 and 2017? Is one a different trim level than the other? That may be the reason... And are we talking about when you're driving or being a passenger?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The 2016 and 2017 should be the same in that regard, no? .....unless it's trim level differences as mentioned.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,029 Posts
Base 2.5i has a 6-way manual driver's seat. Premium and higher trims have a 10-way power seat. My guess is that a manual seat moves farther back on the track than a power seat.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look and see if there is anything on the tracks maybe blocking the seat from going back all the way.

There does not appear to be any change on those seats between the "first generation" SJ (2014 to 2016) and the 2nd (2017 and 2018)... Even the seat fabrics are pretty much the same...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
1,061 Posts
Both are the same, 2.5i Premium. The '16 has Eye Sight, the '17 does not. Power driver seats, manual passenger, on both.
Is the one that allows more room adjusted back and up, instead of just back? Does it help if you tilt up the front edge of the seat so your knees are higher?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the one that allows more room adjusted back and up, instead of just back? Does it help if you tilt up the front edge of the seat so your knees are higher?
Yes, the ‘17 adjusts in all directions. Tilting helps a little but i want to push back if possible.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,715 Posts
Lack of front leg room is one of my top complaints..
It looks like the only way to make a discernable difference is to relocate the seats by fabricating a bracket which can move the seat mounts further to the rear. I seldom have any rear seat passengers (except dogs, who don't need legroom) but there is a significant shortage up front.
My neighbor is picking up some plate steel and a welder, so I may finally make the car fit me better..

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,289 Posts
Interesting because our '17 Premium has a LOT more legroom than my old beloved '09 base. I rarely have enough legroom in cars but the '17 Foz is better than most. I have remounted seats on a number of vehicles and had a set of Recaros some years ago where I picked my mounting location in the 3 different vehicles I used those seats in. Days before air bags and definitely before side air bags. (I have been moving seats around for 45 years...I'm gonna be 70 on my next bday.)

One of my tricks (from an auto engineer) was adding washer stacks (and longer bolts if necessary) under the front seat mounts to lift the front of the seat (when a tilt adjust was not available or not enough). This didn't move the seat back, but took up slack in my legs.

The only caution I might offer here with a newer vehicle is to consider all safety equipment, such as the routing of your seat and shoulder belts and stuff. I moved the seats back on the factory bases in my '02 Ford E150 van, as well as using washer stacks, and the shoulder belt had a bit of air space rather than resting across my chest. Might not have worked as well if I had been in an accident. Consider where the seat belts mount on the door frame and on the floor or seat frame on the inside.

If you add any bolts or hardware, use Grade 8 or similar high-strength bolts, not the stuff from the hardware store.

Good luck. I have a friend who is 6'10" tall and he has suffered for his whole life in any kind of seating space designed for 99 percent of humans. I think he's driving a Chevy Equinox but I have not seen how he manages to fit into that.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
344 Posts
Base 2.5i has a 6-way manual driver's seat. Premium and higher trims have a 10-way power seat. My guess is that a manual seat moves farther back on the track than a power seat.
Actually, the power seat in some cars goes further back. I'm pretty sure thats the case with Foresters but it's been a while since I checked.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
How tall are y'all...?!?

I drive my 2014 Forester Limited 2.5 and I'm 6'3" tall and am "even waisted" - meaning I'm about the same measurement from waist up and waist down. And I have no issues with the legroom, kneeroom and all the other measurements in my Foz.... I do not have the seat all the way back (could probably slide back another half-foot) and have the front edge tilted up as high as it can (power seat).

Like DragonSubie - I also do not carry many passengers in the back - often just 2 or 4 dogs. When I do have a rear passenger (there's only room for 1 as the back passenger side has a doggy booster seat belted in), I've never had them complain about legroom in the back either.

Internal comfort was a big reason I picked the Forester. My mom (86 years now), has bad hips and a bad back and of the competition, it was the easiest one for her to get in and out of. Even the Crosstrek (same chassis at the time) had a higher door sill and it was not easy for her to get in/out. Plus the Crosstrek is too small - I felt claustrophobic inside. But that's straying from the post.

@Glez - have you (or can you) measure the cab out? I mean, move the seat all the way back and measure the distance from the seat to the pedals on both the "older" and "newer" Foz?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
have you (or can you) measure the cab out? I mean, move the seat all the way back and measure the distance from the seat to the pedals on both the "older" and "newer" Foz?
Just measured and they are the same. 17.5" brake peddle to left rail when forward and 27" when pushed back. Something else must be giving the feeling of spaciousness in the '16. Perhaps the position of the tilt and extension of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
344 Posts
Syncros#10
Thanks for the above link!
It seems like the only problem I'll have is being able to drive, as my wife hates the legroom on the passenger side...
Maybe I can get a discount on two sets.. :unsure:
At one time they offered to make you one for free if they didn't offer one for your car. You had to leave them your car for a week so they could get all the specs. Unfortunately they never offered one for anything I've owned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts