Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our '17 XT to a drive-in theater for the first time last night and it was great fun.

There were a ton of other Subies out there in the audience, and I was hoping some of you guys/gals might be able to provide some tips on how to better set the car up?

We decided to park forward towards the screen since it was just the two of us. This particular theater uses FM transmitters to broadcast the movie audio, so you need to have your radio on. In ACC mode, I turned off all exterior lights and interior dome and hatch lights. I turned the radio on and tuned it to the right FM station and then turned the screen off from the settings menu. I managed to turn the MID display off through the menu and turned off the rear-view mirror auto-dimming status light. This left only the following lights on, which I could not figure out how to turn off - Rear-view mirror Compass display and Homelink buttons. Radio buttons on each side of screen (home, apps, map, etc.) and the start button.

Everything was great, but about halfway through the movie, the dashboard flashed "Battery Saving Mode," all the interior lights turned themselves on and the radio turned off. Which was a little startling at the time; I had to start the car and run through the whole setup process again. So this is the part where I'm hoping for some tips...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
It's been my experience in the '15 that the wimpy battery is simply insufficient to run the car's electronics for very long. Maybe a bigger battery is the answer?

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 4 Speed Auto
69 Posts
There should be a compass button that turns on/off the compass on your mirror. Also, yes, bigger battery.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
Did you by chance have the car running and then turned the key to ACC? I believe that if you do that, the daytime running lights stay on and that can drain the battery. Whenever I use ACC mode, I turn the car off and then switch to ACC to keep the DRLs off.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
I ran my battery dead that way! Who would think a modern car battery could not handle a modern radio turned on for just an hour! Not like you had to heat the tubes and transistors...

My car the radio will only work in "run" - (not cranked). The radio is off in ACC. I also dimmed all lights as you did. I will be buying a better, larger battery this week.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think I have the rearview compass display part figured out now...

Looks like the newer model Gentex frameless mirrors do not have a compass button anymore, just a single button that has three functions: One press turns the auto-dimming on/off, press-and-hold for 3 seconds turns off the compass display, press-and-hold for 9 seconds and it starts a compass calibration.

Have some more playing around to do for the homelink and radio button lighting.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
I ran my battery dead that way! Who would think a modern car battery could not handle a modern radio turned on for just an hour! Not like you had to heat the tubes and transistors...

My car the radio will only work in "run" - (not cranked). The radio is off in ACC. I also dimmed all lights as you did. I will be buying a better, larger battery this week.
I bought a larger battery. I got an Interstate group 27.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Ohmigod! I thought Drive-in theatre's were obsolete these days.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohmigod! I thought Drive-in theatre's were obsolete these days.
That's all part of the charm! Please try the experience before they all really disappear. There's probably one a lot closer than you think.

Also, you guys weren't kidding about the battery! I had no idea we had such a low CCA battery from the factory. I guess next time I go I'll bring my Jump-N-Carry to be safe.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
2016 Forester XT Touring
177 Posts
That's all part of the charm! Please try the experience before they all really disappear. There's probably one a lot closer than you think.
When I go to the Sunset I make sure to crank it over every half-hour for a couple of minutes or so. If the e-brake is pulled the DRLs won't ever come on, and most everyone there does the same thing just to run the A/C or the defroster for a bit. The big no-no is idling through the entire flick.

For minimal power draw: E-brake on, adjust the windows, then shut down. On my Touring, with foot off brake a single stab of the Start button gives me ACC, which powers the radio and nothing else (well, the seat heaters if they're on, and those are a HUGE battery suck). If I don't need A/C or defrost, I can easily get through an entire movie in this config and it's a stock battery. Also, take your headlights out of Auto (they should never be there anyways, but that's just me).

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
195 Posts
Also, take your headlights out of Auto (they should never be there anyways, but that's just me).
That is assuming the operator is ... intelligent enough to be aware of his surrounding conditions, and turns the darn things ON when required. You wouldn't believe the amount of cars on DRLs I encounter in the middle of the night...

Sorry, personal rant... :)

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
400 Posts
We are fortunate enough to be in an area with two remaining Drive-In theaters (there were 4 within an easy drive when we first moved to this area of the Hudson Valley.

As cars become more complex, this process becomes harder. Toyota "push to start" ignition systems cycle off every 20 minutes, so you are constantly regen'ing the system multiple times thru the double feature. Very annoying and you miss a lot of dialog in the process.

The last few trips we did with a boom box and batteries. I just gave up on messing with the ignition and settings.

Oh, and do carry a jump pack. If not you, the vehicle next to you will likely need the assist.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
338 Posts
Just replaced my stock battery with a group 27f interstate from Costco. Has almost double the power compared the D cell that comes equipped from the factory.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
338 Posts
Yes that was the director placement for the group 35 all I needed to do was take that flimsy piece of plastic they pass off as a battery tray and slit two corners to allow the battery to sit flat on it there was plenty of extra room between the headlight support and block. Been very pleased with the upgrade, noticing the Foz turning over faster and even accidentally left the map light on a couple nights ago and was able to fire right up in the morning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We loved the drive-in experience. Unfortunately, it does take a toll on your battery and we dread experiencing getting stuck in a drive-in so we've since purchased an Ion Portable speaker that has a radio tuner so we don't need to rely on the battery of the car. Lasts very long and can be very loud. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts