Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks

I have been driving my 17' FXT Touring for 3 weeks now. Great vehicle!

I want to improve the stance, look and capabilities of my FXT. I am coming from Jeeps and I miss the ride height and clearance. I also want to get rid of the "soccer mom" look.

I am looking to do a 1.5" lift with BFG KO2's.....i think..

This would be my first experience lifting one of my vehicles. I was hoping the forum could give some Do's & Dont's advice before diving into the process. There is a lot of information, options and technical jargon that can overwhelm someone new to the experience. I'm hoping this thread can be useful to others in a similar position as well. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
203 Posts
From my limited experience... lifting a crossover vehicle and adding KO2's will have a huge impact on efficiency and a bigger impact on your wear and tear items like the suspension and CV joints that are now connected to a heavier tires. My understanding is the proper way to go about this is to beef up all the other components that will affect the premature wear that would be caused by lifting and adding heavier tires. You will be giving up "speed" performance for more capability performances.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
18 FXT with ADF 2" and 2 3/8" lift for 27k miles. 225/65r17 KO2, but may go dynapro or wildpeak 235/65r17 if they have at least 6-ply sidewall.

All suspension, cv, axles, bushing are still in good condition.

To lift on Subie, you want to drop the subframe to keep geometry the same for alignment and wear/tear.

Since you have SJ XT, strongly advise you to look into tranmission cooler. You can search forum or facebook mtnroo brotherhood for more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my limited experience... lifting a crossover vehicle and adding KO2's will have a huge impact on efficiency and a bigger impact on your wear and tear items like the suspension and CV joints that are now connected to a heavier tires. My understanding is the proper way to go about this is to beef up all the other components that will affect the premature wear that would be caused by lifting and adding heavier tires. You will be giving up "speed" performance for more capability performances.
It is my understanding that the reputable lift kit companies provide a lot of new hardware that should help mitigate the issue of premature wear. At least that’s what I can gather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18 FXT with ADF 2" and 2 3/8" lift for 27k miles. 225/65r17 KO2, but may go dynapro or wildpeak 235/65r17 if they have at least 6-ply sidewall.

All suspension, cv, axles, bushing are still in good condition.

To lift on Subie, you want to drop the subframe to keep geometry the same for alignment and wear/tear.

Since you have SJ XT, strongly advise you to look into tranmission cooler. You can search forum or facebook mtnroo brotherhood for more info.
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep that in mind (sub frame drop). Good to know everything seems to be holding up well.

I was concerned about how changes would affect the cvt. Are you suggesting the transmission cooler because of the turbo?

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
Yes, turbo just makes it worst quicker. Non-turbo may be the same. Cvt relies lots on its valves and electric component. Heat wont be good for them.

Monitor your cvt temp via carscanner app and odbc2, then you can tell a huge different before and aftwr cooler.
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep that in mind (sub frame drop). Good to know everything seems to be holding up well.

I was concerned about how changes would affect the cvt. Are you suggesting the transmission cooler because of the turbo?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Subframe drop changes the angle of the driveshaft to the rear diff, that seems to be the reason why so many experiences the low-speed wobble after lifting using a subframe drop kit.
Personally I went with the readylift since it doesn't use a subframe drop, and from what I've seen on other Subarus the CV angle is still very reasonable after the lift, I haven't installed mine yet.
Also, keep in mind KO2s will destroy your MPGs, have a negative effect on your braking and acceleration and as said will wear related components quicker because of added unsprung weight.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
@slothman no XT dont come with cooler in state, thus it is one of few reason its cvt die much sooner.

@AgentK i have 26k on ko2, lift and everything is good. I do lot of iverland/offroad on them. Regarding wobble, if u feel it some lift kit vendor may include a spacer to fix it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@AgentK i have 26k on ko2, lift and everything is good. I do lot of iverland/offroad on them. Regarding wobble, if u feel it some lift kit vendor may include a spacer to fix it.
Good to hear, but it's still true, the higher unsprung weight will increase the wear on related components, for example instead of lasting 150K some parts might last 100k.
Personally I'm on target on putting over 30K a year on my 2019 Forester, so 26k isn't much of a test, for me personally, and I'm used to bulletproof reliability from my last Toyota and even my wife's minivan, so any test under 200K doesn't mean much to me :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still considering a lift.

Im more interested in the ADF 1.5" Eco Lift

No subframe drop or multi link spacers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts