Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a stiffer strut (like kyb excel) with stock king springs? I want to maintain a softer ride on pavement, but I hear a stiffer spring will blow out the strut seals?

·
Registered
2010 Forester x limited Manuel
42 Posts
I’ve never heard of that problem. I have heard the King springs are stiff. Think rallye cross. Rallitek does make a softer spring.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
For anyone to say that a spring weight affecting shock seals makes no sense.

In motorcycling there is a long standing debate regarding softer dampening with heavier spring vs. firm dampening with a softer spring. Neither affects shock seals.

Only miss-alignment or abrasive material would cause a seal to fail.

One could compound the firm ride with firm dampening and heavier spring rate. Or, the alternative with soft dampening and softer spring rate.

The key to good suspension is to determine what you desire and select dampening and spring rates to match. The off-road racing suspension I had offered slow speed soft dampening with progressively firmer dampening with speed, and matched springs.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 speed manual
17 Posts
To answer the original question, my recommendation would be - yes, get a stiffer strut. I have the KYB GR2 gas struts and very satisfied with them (albeit they are on OEM spings). I did a lot of research on struts as I was lifting my fozzie 1 inch with ADF spacers (highly recommend!). Read that monroe struts are softer and problem couldn't withstand stiffer rates, whereas the KYB are valve higher and can withstand a high spring rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts