Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2017 Forester 2,5L CVT, 20 000 km or 12 500 miles. Since 2 weeks, I noticed that the car has trouble to start after rain or humid weather. Last week, I was afraid to get stuck in the parking lot at my work. The car cranked but wont start. I had to press a bit on the gas pedal while cranking on the third attempt to finally get the motor running. Last saturday, after a rainy night, it took 3 attempt to get the motor running. This time, I dont had to press the gas pedal but it was very laborious and started slowly, like an old car with bad spark plug.

Today was a cold day. The car started correctly. I had an appointment at the dealer to check the problem and they basicely they said that they dont found the problem and just did some basics reprogrammation thing. So I am perplexed with this issue and not to confident about the future.

Anyone ever heard of a issue like that on a recent Forester?

Take note that the windshield was replaced in 2018 because it was badly cracked. Could it be related?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
884 Posts
I have had this happen in the past with vehicles with a distributor style ignition. What happens is moisture condensed onto the spark plug wires, distributor cap, etcc... However with today's distributor less ignition this should be less of an issue. So maybe open the hood next time and see if there is moisture.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
Along with @bman400 's very valid suggestion, you could spray suspected areas with WD40.
Its original purpose for that stuff was to drive moisture out - "WD" stands for "Water Displacement".

·
Registered
2018 Forester
209 Posts
If possible after a rain or heavy dew, in total or near total darkness have someone crank it while you watch the ignition components for spark leaking out of wires, etc.
Mike

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, it was not raining, just a warner winter day. I took a video. The car did start at the very first attempt but you can hear that in the first 3-4 seconds after the motor start there is a sort struggling before its finally run well. I got a lot of start like that, even when there is no rain and the car is parked for a couple of hours. The car now seems to just start very finely in cold temperature. Still moisture issue you thinks?

Got to have this fixed before the 3 years warranty ends in may.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
212 Posts
Do you press the gas pedal each time you start the car?

Does the car always idle at that speed by itself?

The crank time in the video, seemed quite ok.

You could ensure that all spark plug leads are firmly seated, the air filter is clean, and also clean the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys. Since the last time I posted I did not had trouble starting the car until this morning. This morning, the temp was like 0 Celcius, and there was no rain.

The car finally started laboriously on the 3rd attempt. This time I didnt pressed on the gas pedal but the car hardly started.
You will see in the video, the 2nd and finally the 3rd attempt.

My warranty ends in may 2020. The car only has 3 years. I im not happy at all with this intermittent problem. I might get stuck someday. I report the problem to dealer 4 month ago and said they find nothing. I might send them the video. The car is a 2017, im very dissapointed this issue could not be solved.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
884 Posts
Sounds like the typical weak Subaru 12v battery. Get it tested. But realistically, just buy yourself a new battery that is stronger.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Quebec City Canada and the car started fine in cold temp this winter. It would be strange to me that the battery is the problem since it seems to crank fine but its an option. I know that they are not very powerful.

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
92 Posts
I would be at the dealer once a week at least complaining. Make sure there is a record and paperwork before the warranty ends. Definitely show your video. Don't let time lapse.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Vinamn, I do not have the time, and dont want, to be at the dealer once a week.

I will send them the video, and to Subaru Canada also.

I had a survey after my last visit to the dealer and they ask me if my next car will be a Subaru and I respond that I was not sure.

I was planning to keep the car for a long time, and like it in general, but at the end, if this problem become serious, or something else, I will just get rid of it and buy something else. I like the car, (awd, ground clearance) but had some other issues since I own it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts