Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Forester... dashboard lit up like a Cmas tree when I started the car. Got a new battery and codes cleared. Went off again when car started so I took off positive cable @ 2 min. Lights reset. Lights up @ every 10 days. Now I keep a socket wrench in the car to disconnect battery cable & reset the lights. Is this necessary?

First dealer actually wrote on the diagnostic that this was caused by a dirty windshield!

This is my first and maybe only Subaru. When I bought it new, 2 windshields cracked! They blamed me. Had to have stereo system replaced under warranty bc it kept resetting. It still has this problem.

I like the size, safety features & visibility... but am I getting what I paid for? I’m not sure that Subaru has quality control or viable service.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
145 Posts
First thing I would do get an OBD II reader to see what codes are being sent. Some of these have software that at least give some info and share what you have here.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2016 Forester
28 Posts
When the lights go on, you can always go to autozone or the likes and get the code read for free. Often mechanics will read the code for free also. I have a 2016 xt and never had that issue. I would strongly advise on getting the obd2 reader. They are cheap and can provide you with info on what is throwing those codes

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
120 Posts
This is a car you bought new and never has suffered anything traumatic like accident damage? If so, there certainly sounds to be something wrong that is Subaru's fault. My '17 XT bought new, now 58,000 miles, has nearly always performed as designed - but my big beef is that Subaru's corporate engineering skill and budget for advanced electronic gadget design and coding are definitely sub-par. I have a long list of feature behavior quirks that are per design, but dumb. (but nothing like what you describe)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
792 Posts
The brakelight switch on our 15 XV Crosstrek went, theres a recall on it. Same symptoms, might be that, very cheap to replace yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts