Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure what it could be. initially thought it was a squeak from the foam around the spare tire underneath the cargo mat. added some friction tape and determined that the sound of the foam squeaking and the creaking that i'm hearing are different.

any other thoughts as to what it could be? anything else i can check/look into myself?

thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension underneath the trunk floor perhaps?
guess it could be but unsure why a car with 35K miles that has been essentially babied would have any rear suspension issues. i thought i had read other folks with a similar sound and it was a nut or bushing or something...

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,151 Posts
Me either, but with manufacturing being the way it is? No two cars are identical. My car has various noises, and I've checked all the crucial points that might be an issue, and everything looks solid. SO, I just turn up my music and not worry about it. That's the best I can offer.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
334 Posts
A long-shot , but here is what caused a noise for me. One of the lift arms on the back hatch had two loose mounting screws up top.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,142 Posts
You haven't actually specified WHEN you hear the creaking noise. Going over bumps? turning? Can you reproduce the sound by just pushing down on the bumper while the tail-gate is open?

I've had a stabilizer-bar bushing be super annoying, adding some lubricant between the bushing and the bar resolved that issue.

Process of elimination? Remove the spare and everything you CAN remove from that area and try it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be the foam insert above the spare tire creaking? I've had this happen.
i had thought that. and it does squeak when i go back there and move it around. i added a bunch of friction tape to reduce it and the sound persists. i think it's something else.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You haven't actually specified WHEN you hear the creaking noise. Going over bumps? turning? Can you reproduce the sound by just pushing down on the bumper while the tail-gate is open?

I've had a stabilizer-bar bushing be super annoying, adding some lubricant between the bushing and the bar resolved that issue.

Process of elimination? Remove the spare and everything you CAN remove from that area and try it.
my apologies. i hear it largely going over bumps, turning, heading into driveways, etc. i will see if i can reproduce myself, but i don't believe i will be able to.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,151 Posts
Try having another driver behind the wheel at low speed and you in the back row and listening very intently. Then try having them pass you slowly while you're outside.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
10 Posts
On mine XT I lubricated the rear hatch locking mechanism and its strike plate and sound disappeared.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
341 Posts
It's a long shot but is your day middle seat belt detached and retracted info the roof. If the buckle and slider are not fully inserted and secured into the garage mounted in the roof it makes an incensent noise. Took me forever to pin point it my self but 5 second fix when I did.
Aloha

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
101 Posts
Long shot but I recently had a similar issue except it was more of a clunking sound (sounded like a bolt hitting metal). It ended up being my rear sway bar bolts got loose. Dealership tightened them up for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts