Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a little odd thing going on with my 2017 2.4L.
After a long drive, 1 hour +, I have some hesitation when accelerating after a stop. I mentioned it to the service guy when I was getting my A/C condenser recall work done.

They drove it a while and came back with a diagnosis of a cracked Cat...backpressure, etc causing the hesitation.....

85K on the car...of course. $2300 fix quote.

Questions.... really? 85K on the car and I have had to replace a wheel bearing, lower control arm bushings, and now a Cat?
What is this a 2001 Dodge?

I see there are two cats on the car, front and rear...am I right?

Are both of these cats replaceable without a lift and a welder?

I'm really disappointed in my Subaru experience. Our Honda's ran to over 200K without this kind of trouble. :(

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Check the emissions warranty. It extends the time limit / mileage on certain items and can also vary state by state beyond what the federal laws mandate. This may be covered.

.....can't speak much to your Subaru experience as that hasn't been mine of the two previous ones I've owned and I doubt my wife's new one will give us much trouble in the first 100k.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT
133 Posts
I've been having a little odd thing going on with my 2017 2.4L.
After a long drive, 1 hour +, I have some hesitation when accelerating after a stop. I mentioned it to the service guy when I was getting my A/C condenser recall work done.

They drove it a while and came back with a diagnosis of a cracked Cat...backpressure, etc causing the hesitation.....

85K on the car...of course. $2300 fix quote.

Questions.... really? 85K on the car and I have had to replace a wheel bearing, lower control arm bushings, and now a Cat?

I see there are two cats on the car, front and rear...am I right?

Are both of these cats replaceable without a lift and a welder?

I'm really disappointed in my Subaru experience. Our Honda's ran to over 200K without this kind of trouble. :(
My 2017 is a PZEV vehicle. As such, it is covered by a special 150K emissions warranty just for PZEV vehicles. I had my exhaust and cat replaced free last year due to an exhaust leak. No questions asked.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
789 Posts
My 2017 is a PZEV vehicle. As such, it is covered by a special 150K emissions warranty just for PZEV vehicles. I had my exhaust and cat replaced free last year due to an exhaust leak. No questions asked.
PZEV warranty coverage is dependent upon what state the car is sold and registered in.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
386 Posts
Yes, the cats are replaceable without a lift and a welder. Like almost anything under a car, it's awkward but can be done on ramps. I just looked up the cats and the Subaru OEM parts are really expensive. Around $2400, but you can probably find cheaper alternatives. Mostly so expensive because the front cat is part of the exhaust manifold assembly.

I'd definitely look for a second opinion, as I don't think a cracked cat is really all that likely. At least not without throwing some sort of engine code. The P0420 Engine Catalyst Below Efficiency Threshold is almost legendary in the Subaru community, because of how easily it seems to trigger. (And in my experience is usually just a faulty O2 sensor.) To me, "cracked cat" sounds suspiciously like mechanic speak for "We have no idea, so we're going to throw parts at it until you won't pay any more."

PZEV warranty coverage is dependent upon what state the car is sold and registered in.
US EPA requires catalytic converters to be covered for 80k miles. Which unfortunately still puts @Ztex out of luck.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
168 Posts
Double check your Warranty before anything else, if it's not covered in your State call Subaru and see if they will help out. It's worth some calls, and Subaru might take care of it. If you have to pay call around.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
....certain emission items are still covered under federal law beyond the factory warranty which essentially covers all Americans but some states extend some of those limits.

@Ztex
If I'm reading this right, it appears the cats are covered under the "Federal Emissions Extended Defect and Performance Warranty" of 8 years / 80,000 miles. Its listed in the "Catalytic Converter System "section below with a foot note referencing that. It's worth further investigation at least.

fyi... This page is taken from the warranty book of my wife's 2020 Forester. I would check yours for consistency although I'll wager it hasn't changed.

Reactions: Ztex

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
646 Posts
in case anyone doesn't fully understand the references to "states" above, "California" emissions compliance in 2017 was required by these states (per Google): "The states that have adopted the California standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia." Many years of 2.5L non-turbo Subarus that complied with this got "PZEV" rear badges, but other models like my XT turbo here in Washington State don't have the badge, and I think my underhood compliance sticker just says "Tier 2 Bin 5" (if I recall) which isn't quite the same thing as "PZEV" (which means Partial Credit Zero Emissions Vehicle).

·
Registered
133 Posts
As long as your vehicle is a PZEV it’s 150K. 2017 was the last year of PZEV. It’s very clear in the warranty manual.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got off the phone with Subaru and the dealership.... no joy on any warranty. I first felt this hesitation problem that caused this checkout last September but really didn't feel it since then...until after a long trip last week. Oh well...Woulda coulda shoulda.

That feel-good PZEV sticker didn't do anything for me here in Texas...84K and I'm on the hook for the first catalytic converter replacement of my life. After years of driving Honda, Nissan Hyundai, Ford, etc both at work and personally.

:mad:84K Subaru.... smh

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
As long as your vehicle is a PZEV it’s 150K. 2017 was the last year of PZEV. It’s very clear in the warranty manual.
It's clear that TZEV is covered for 150k which is not the same as PZEV. TZEV cars seem to be hybrids, etc. I know Wiki says PZEVs are covered under the 15/150k but the warranty booklet only mentions TZEVs for this coverage.

....so either it isn't really clear in the manual or someone is wrong. Looking at my wife's emissions sticker, her 2020 Forester is SULEV30 rated. .....not TZEV. I'm not even sure the TZEV standard applies to 2017s because at some point that standard used to be AT-PZEV, not to be confused with just PZEV certification.

From the manual:

"Transitional Zero Emission Vehicle (TZEV)
Emission Warranty Coverage
California TZEV extended emissions performance and defect warranty coverage applies if (1) your vehicle is registered in a state that has adopted and is enforcing California TZEV emissions warranty regulations applicable to your vehicle at the time of repair*, and (2) your vehicle is certified as TZEV in California as indicated on the vehicle emission control
information label.

For vehicles eligible for TZEV emissions warranty coverage, the California Emissions Performance and Defect Warranty coverage periods referenced above are extended to 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. The hybrid electric vehicle lithium-ion battery is covered for 10 years, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, except that normal loss of battery capacity is not covered under any warranty (see Page 9)."

Here in California, only ZEV's and TZEV's (formerly AT-PZEVs) are eligible for carpool stickers that allow just one occupant to use those lanes (vs. 2+ in most other vehicles). Subaru is not even on the list until 2019 with the Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid which is a TZEV vehicle.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Just got off the phone with Subaru and the dealership.... no joy on any warranty. I first felt this hesitation problem that caused this checkout last September but really didn't feel it since then...until after a long trip last week. Oh well...Woulda coulda shoulda.

That feel-good PZEV sticker didn't do anything for me here in Texas...84K and I'm on the hook for the first catalytic converter replacement of my life. After years of driving Honda, Nissan Hyundai, Ford, etc both at work and personally.

:mad:84K Subaru.... smh
In either case you are outside of the 8/80 emissions coverage that may have covered that anyway. Maybe you should look at one of those other car makers if you're that disappointed in the Subaru brand. I have owned Honda, Toyota and Subaru but more Subarus than the others.

I have had good experiences with all 3 brands but Subaru provided the best value for us. I have also had problems with all 3 too but nothing I would consider souring to my overall experience or outlook of the brand simply based on my own scenario. In fact, my Dodge Challenger R/T has been the most trouble free of all of them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, your car is definitely registered in the wrong state! Time to move it is LOL. I copied and pasted this directly from the 2017 warranty and maintenance manual.
2017 SUBARU Legacy, Outback, Forester 2.5L,
and Impreza, Crosstrek 2.0L non-turbo models
achieving a Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
(PZEV) rating by the California Air Resources
Board are available in all 50 states. Only those
registered in California, Connecticut, Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York,
Rhode Island, and Vermont will be eligible for
the 15 years/150,000 miles, whichever comes
first, emission warranty.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,006 Posts

That's pretty poor to be suffering those problems so early on. Are you using the vehicle for offroading or towing or putting heavy loads in the back?

Modern Subarus aren't the older Subarus that gained the reputation for reliability sadly. I'm talking EJ20, EJ22 and EG30 and even EZ30 engine'd vehicles.

There's a video documentary of how Toyota scrutinised everything on the new Supra compared to how BMW make their version of the vehicle during the development stage. It was pretty interesting the depths and testing of parts Toyota go to compared to other manufacturers.

Older Hondas are also very good but not sure I would trust a modern Honda. My money would be on a Japan-built Toyota out lasting a Honda or Subaru

·
Registered
2017 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up on the cracked converter... the dealership write-up says the following.

"Drove vehicle down the highway for about 30 minutes to duplicate concern, found fuel trims slightly off and heard converter leaking, cracked"

I'm haven't used this Forester for offroading ( I do drive off pavement on dirt roads a few times a year but not "four-wheeling" ) I never tow, I drive city streets and highways 99% of the time.

To add to my un-loved feeling for Subaru, 5 days after I had my A/C condenser recall done, the A/C quit working, just got off the phone with the dealership and they claim some o'rings failed and want to charge me $12 for the parts....they graciously waved the labor charge...but said it had "nothing to do with the recall work, A/C's fail all the time......really!?

Again...I have driven many brands for 100's of thousands of miles both in work and personal vehicles, and have not had the A/C fail since the compressor died in my 1985 Ford Ranger.

I am not encouraged

1 - 15 of 15 Posts