Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my Forester was making awful noises so took it to a friend who raised it and showed me that the front right control arm bushing has worn out completely.
The Forester is at 29,000 miles and still within the 3 year warranty - but will this be covered?

Many thanks!

I found some details on car complaints website mentioning a TSB so maybe this is a known issue?

TSB #05-63-18
NHTSA ID #10142825
Summary: This bulletin announces a design change made to the forward bushing used in the front lower control arm to address customer concerns of a rattle-type sound and / or a possible vibration felt in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
31 Posts
Hello - my Forester was making awful noises so took it to a friend who raised it and showed me that the front right control arm bushing has worn out completely.
The Forester is at 29,000 miles and still within the 3 year warranty - but will this be covered?

Many thanks!
3/36 warranty covers this no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same issue at 42k miles. Subaru of America covered it under warranty after we reached out to them

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
24 Posts
Yep...My bushings wore out at 38K. Good thing I bought the extra warranty. Not long after that, the passenger side wheel bearing went bad; probably caused by the bad bushings. (When the dealer changed the wheel bearing and checked the other side they didn't torque the wheel correctly and the wheel almost fell off, resulting in New wheel, new spindle with bearing. At 44K the control arm bushings felt bad again. Took it in and this time they replaced both of the control arm assemblies.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring CVT with paddle shifters
171 Posts
At approximately 51K miles, our 2016 FXT's front end began to "clunk" over bumps. Then it started experiencing a front end vibration / wobble at highway speeds (approx 65 MPH). The wobble was usually induced when negotiating long right hand sweepers or making lane changes to the right at highway speeds. Bushings were found to be worn out. They are replacing them under warranty, but I am unsure if Subaru covered it or if my extended warranty covered it. Either way, they are replacing the bushings on both sides at no cost to me. We are driving a loaner. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
793 Posts
When the dealer changed the wheel bearing and checked the other side they didn't torque the wheel correctly and the wheel almost fell off, resulting in New wheel, new spindle with bearing. At 44K the control arm bushings felt bad again. Took it in and this time they replaced both of the control arm assemblies.
:eek: :eek: (n)

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
At approximately 51K miles, our 2016 FXT's front end began to "clunk" over bumps. Then it started experiencing a front end vibration / wobble at highway speeds (approx 65 MPH). The wobble was usually induced when negotiating long right hand sweepers or making lane changes to the right at highway speeds. Bushings were found to be worn out. They are replacing them under warranty, but I am unsure if Subaru covered it or if my extended warranty covered it. Either way, they are replacing the bushings on both sides at no cost to me. We are driving a loaner. Updates to follow.
The exact same thing is happening to my 2016 FXT' but it started at 70k miles. Its cheaper to do the service yourself. Took me just over 2 hours to replace both control arms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The exact same thing is happening to my 2016 FXT' but it started at 70k miles. Its cheaper to do the service yourself. Took me just over 2 hours to replace both control arms.
I've got a 2015 FXT at just over 70k miles and it just started that same wobble at highway speeds. Any slight steering wheel moves to change lanes or just adjust position within the lane will cause a significant wobble.
I've never done any suspension work before, and I'm wondering if you found a video or a guide or anything related to changing out these bushings?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
Your best friend is youtube. Any general video showing how to do a bushing change can give an idea of how to do it.

This video shows how to change the entire lower control arm. Hope it helps. Also, just got 4 recalls for the 2016 year model so im know dealing with that.

·
Registered
2017 Touring XT
7 Posts
Greetings everyone!! It appears that a lot of us are having the same lower control arm/bushing issues at around 29,000 or close to the three years of ownership. We living in Philadelphia PA and the roads, pot holes and overall road condition beat up our vehicles, nonetheless, I figured a Subaru would be able to last at least 5 years or more of bushing protection. I called my local dealership and I was told, YES the wore or damaged Lower Control Arms were covered but, my warranty had expired 25 days ago. Boy was I Bumbed to hear that!!I I looked for any TSP or Service Bulletins and found Number 06-63-18. I call Subaru of America and spoke to a very profession attentive young lady and low and behold, my car is still in fact under NEW CAR COVERAGE and the Service Bulletin Number 06-63-18R (Revised) actually applies to our Forester. I am awaiting a date and time to schedule my two pending recalls and my new and improved Lower Control Arm busing repair or replace.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
I have a 2016 FXT and just scheduled my ball joints to be replaced at 75k miles plus four other recalls(covered under warranty). 1) The exhaust manyfold bolts are loose and cause a loss of power/exhaust leak. They had to be retorqued. 2) the air bag sensor on the passenger won't activate when someone is in the seat. 3) the rear springs anti-rust coating starts to chip away and cause pitting of the metal and eventually they will break due to rust. 4) the break light sensor does not activate the lights to come on when foot is on the break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts