Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am thinking in upgrade my Forester XT SJ 2017 brakes to make it safer because sometimes I go to trak days. I was reviewing the front Brembo XTRA discs of 316 mm and XTRA pads but I want to know if some of you have some experience or technical opinion about this upgrade and if worth it?

I want to know if the 316 mm discs fits with my stock calipers that comes with 12.4 in discs?

I want to maintain the most Subaru genuine parts in my forester.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
283 Posts
@Leonm2 If you want to run STi rotors you'll need to run with the STI calipers too. Be sure to get rotors that are drilled to a 5x100 bolt pattern.

If you want to maintain your current rotors you'll can run 300zx calipers with an adapter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Leonm2 If you want to run STi rotors you'll need to run with the STI calipers too. Be sure to get rotors that are drilled to a 5x100 bolt pattern.

If you want to maintain your current rotors you'll can run 300zx calipers with an adapter.
Thanks for your answer. But no, that aren't STI rotors, that's just an aftermarket rotor that Brembo hace designed for the Forester XT SJ with the stock calipers, the rotors are 316 mm of diameter that are the same as the stock rotors but in a material with more carbon in the alloy and drilled.

This is the webpage of the rotors I mentioned: Pads and Discs for SUBARU FORESTER (SJ_) 2.0 XT AWD (SJG)

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
593 Posts
Honestly brake rotors are not worth upgrading. Brembo or any brand even oem blanks would do the same job.
Drilled rotors are just for looks. They claim to help, but not really. You actually have less surface area to stop. If you really want a proper brake cooling, invest in brake ducting.

Yes you can add a bigger rotor, but... I'll start with better brake pads.
If I really want race track stopping power, I'll just look into a big brake kit. Not sure what brands you have access too, but any 4 piston caliper should be enough. Yes they are going to cost a good amount.

Also fyi, if you are not getting STI parts, normal Subaru parts will not be enough for track days.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
36 Posts
I got these discs on my car. Got them primarily because they are coated which should help against rust (big deal around here where the roads are salted). They work fine, but I wouldn't say they are anything for the track though.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
If you are tracking and concerned about heat in the discs/rotors, you may want to look into Brembo Sport or equivalent DBA 4000 T3 or 5000 T3

I can't find any fitment for the 2017 XT. You may need to look up if the similar year WRX uses the same discs and use that for guidance

You will want to use upgraded pads to match your discs. Brembo do a Sportline of pads that match their discs but there's a lot of other options from Pagid, Ferodo etc.

Edit: I have Brembo Sport discs and I'm very happy with them. They have the anti rust coating on swept and unswept areas that prevents corrosion if that is a concern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts