Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clock does not automatically change when entering a new time zone or when daylight savings time changes. Settings are correct, but not functioning properly. Dealer seems to not have a clue. I have contacted Subaru customer service and technical service department. They refer back to the dealer. Could this be a software glitch, and if so how does one get software updates? Has anyone else been noticing this issue? Driving a 2017 Forester 2.0XT with eyesight and navigation.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
I've never heard of the clock or any clock changing automatically especially when entering a different time zone. It would need GPS ability to detect where you are at any given moment. Though I do need to update my Forester, changing it manually wouldn't be such a big deal.
Have you had a vehicle recently that does all this?

US States and Territories Without DST
States and territories in the United States that do not observe daylight saving time, aside from most of Arizona, include: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Some parts of Indiana did not observe daylight saving time in the past. However, the entire state is now united in observing daylight saving time since 2006 despite being split into different time zones.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
DST setting in the multi-function display is just a quick way to add and hour. It doesn't automatically change the time.

The vehicle clock isn't integrated with the GPS, so it will not update automatically.

·
Registered
2018 Outback CVT
107 Posts
My '15 Outback changes automatically for DST using the GPS. Haven't gone out of my time zone so not sure about that but I bet it does.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
My '15 Outback changes automatically for DST using the GPS. Haven't gone out of my time zone so not sure about that but I bet it does.
Interesting, maybe we'll hear from some of the 2017 owners who can confirm whether or not any of the new Forester models are also capable of this feature.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Outback has the clock on the headunit.

Foresters have their clock on the multi-function display, which is not tied into the headunit.

I know on my 2014 there is a way to display the clock on my GPS screen, but it is not the same time as the MFD since one is GPS set and the other is manually set.

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
789 Posts
Interesting, maybe we'll hear from some of the 2017 owners who can confirm whether or not any of the new Forester models are also capable of this feature.
I haven't been out of my time zone yet but when the time was rolled back for that nonsense Daylight Savings Time the time didn't change automatically on my 2017 Forester 2.5i Limited with EyeSight and Navigation. It was a real pain in the backside to change the to correct time. The Daylight Savings Time on off change didn't work the first time and I couldn't find it anymore. I had to change the time manually 3 times before it accepted the change. Who ever was involved in engineering the way to set the time on a Subaru Forester are incompetent imbeciles.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
The Daylight Savings Time on off change didn't work the first time and I couldn't find it anymore. I had to change the time manually 3 times before it accepted the change. Who ever was involved in engineering the way to set the time on a Subaru Forester are incompetent imbeciles.
Sounds like operator error to me.

Took me about 10 seconds to change the time on my vehicle using the MFD controls.

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Sport
319 Posts
It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that when making setting changes on the MFD at a stoplight, as soon as you let off the brake and move at all, it resets back to whatever screen you were last at (losing any unsaved changes). Doh!

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
789 Posts
Sounds like operator error to me.

Took me about 10 seconds to change the time on my vehicle using the MFD controls.
It's not operator error. It's an engineering error. I have a 2017 model which the MFD controls are completely than your 2014 model. On mine the adjustments to the MFD is controlled by a button in the center stack. The 3 buttons on the steering control only what is displayed between the tachometer and speedometer on mine.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon AT CCSB 8 speed
277 Posts
It's not operator error. It's an engineering error. I have a 2017 model which the MFD controls are completely than your 2014 model. On mine the adjustments to the MFD is controlled by a button in the center stack. The 3 buttons on the steering control only what is displayed between the tachometer and speedometer on mine.
Nope it is operator error. Literally took less than 15 seconds for me to update the time when DST changed.
So what that there are two sets of controls? There are two sets of displays. Makes sense to me. This carried over from the WRX.
It took me exactly as long to update the clock in my '17 with the center rocker switch as it did my '15 with the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here's a quick video I made on my lunch break to show just how easy it is to change the setting:

There are other videos on youtube to show this process, but I wanted to show how quick it can be done. I changed it ahead and then back in 40 seconds.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,679 Posts
It's becoming pretty clear that while the 2014-2017 SJ series Foresters share the same body, chassis, and many other attributes, the electronics have changed significantly with each year's model. So, be sure your profile accurately reflects your model year, and pay close attention to the model year in the profile of anything posted here that refers to that model's electronics. Or should I say its IT?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a quick video I made on my lunch break to show just how easy it is to change the setting:

There are other videos on youtube to show this process, but I wanted to show how quick it can be done. I changed it ahead and then back in 40 seconds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts