Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium - Rough Country 2" lift - Bilstein B6 struts - King springs - Primitive skids
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am about to have a 2" lift done on my forester. I'm also getting some after market wheels (17x8) and bigger tires (225/65R17) put on. I don't plan on off-roading super hard but I also do plan on getting out and having some fun. I have ordered the Primitive 3 piece skid plate set as I've seen that is the set a lot of people on here have mentioned. However, I'm not very car savvy so I am having the place that is doing the lift also install the skid plates. Will these install just fine with no cutting or customization to them as it says on their site or from your experience would you say these are going to require some extra work to get to fit right? I was hoping for an easy install as I don't believe the guys at the shop are going to do any cutting or customization and I won't have a clue what would be needed to be done to make them an ideal fit anyway. I believe they will just follow the instructions given and install them on as ordered.

Does anyone have the Primitive skid plates installed with no cutting or customization done to the skid plates prior to install? If so how are they working for you and did they take up a ton of ground clearance? Please help!

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
170 Posts
I have the primitive triple armor set installed, the tranny and engine plates are easy to do after the lift. I say after the lift since 2” will be enough you can slide under and do the install without lifting on jack stands. I had the shop that put my lift on do the rear diff guard since they were putting a torq locker in, so while they were down there. Ground clearance is not affected.
If you have a socket set and a torque wrench you might save the $110/hr labor rate and do it yourself. Use the money saved to put a fire extinguisher and bracket in the passenger footwell. No fitting was required so it’s straight forward.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
57 Posts
I have the Primitive triple armor on mine with a set of BFG AT ko2 225/65R17 tires on stock rims, without a lift. They were an easy install that I made more difficult, like I tend to do with most projects. The mid and rear plates were easy, but I do have a lot of tools. I found the front plate to be a lot more open than the stock plate; so I did a fast and dirty cutting of the old plastic plate and kept the sidewalls, just set the walls on the plate and bolted it in place. It has been a year and a half and it seems to work well. I could have done a neater job and I may someday, but that day I wanted to get the plates in and go play!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,572 Posts
since they were putting a torq locker in, so while they were down there.
What does thisj consist of? With Subaru's X Mode I am guessing it will be a negative in handling and even getting unstuck. It will mess up the computer.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
125 Posts
I found the front plate to be a lot more open than the stock plate; so I did a fast and dirty cutting of the old plastic plate and kept the sidewalls, just set the walls on the plate and bolted it in place.
This is exactly what I am planning to do after comparing the OEM front splash guard with the Primitive Racing engine skid plate.

How did you retain and secure the 'wings' (guessing this is what you call sidewalls) on the plastic guard that go up towards the engine bay? Could you perhaps post some pictures? Thanks!

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
170 Posts
What does thisj consist of? With Subaru's X Mode I am guessing it will be a negative in handling and even getting unstuck. It will mess up the computer.
I’m in a 6MT so Xmode is my left foot. Driving fast on gravel / dirt roads I’ve found the TC is less likely to activate. I’d guess with xmode the computer would just see that there is no wheel slip on the he rear end. I believe there are some YouTubes of the locker being used with xmode.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
170 Posts
This is exactly what I am planning to do after comparing the OEM front splash guard with the Primitive Racing engine skid plate.

How did you retain and secure the 'wings' (guessing this is what you call sidewalls) on the plastic guard that go up towards the engine bay? Could you perhaps post some pictures? Thanks!
So you have to remove the wheel well liners / wings. There are some who have cut down the underbody portion of the “wings” and riveted them to the skid plate with pop rivets. I just go without . Might add some road noise but so does the skid plate and AT tires. A roof top tent or cargo basket create more noise the any of the previous so you won’t notice.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium - Rough Country 2" lift - Bilstein B6 struts - King springs - Primitive skids
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you have to remove the wheel well liners / wings. There are some who have cut down the underbody portion of the “wings” and riveted them to the skid plate with pop rivets. I just go without . Might add some road noise but so does the skid plate and AT tires. A roof top tent or cargo basket create more noise the any of the previous so you won’t notice.
Will you please send a picture of the finished product when cutting the stock plastic and keeping the side splash? Right now I have all three skid plates installed but no plastic as I am not confident enough yet to cut the stock plastic. I'm hoping some pictures might help and then when I have my dad help me install the primitive rock sliders I'll take the skid plate off and Jimmy it up with the plastic side splash before re-installing. Any help/ideas and tips are greatly appreciated and pictures go a long way.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
57 Posts
Will you please send a picture of the finished product when cutting the stock plastic and keeping the side splash? Right now I have all three skid plates installed but no plastic as I am not confident enough yet to cut the stock plastic. I'm hoping some pictures might help and then when I have my dad help me install the primitive rock sliders I'll take the skid plate off and Jimmy it up with the plastic side splash before re-installing. Any help/ideas and tips are greatly appreciated and pictures go a long way.
I didn't do a neat and pretty job when I cut mine about 20 months ago, I mainly was trying to block some of the water and mud coming off the wheels form entering the engine bay. I kept as many of the stock snap and bolt points that the stock front cover used as I could. I didn't fasten the plastic to the skid plate, it is just sitting on top of the plate and has not caused me any problems. I did keep a strip of plastic across the front to sort of hold it all together, left too much in front at first and re-trim it.

Since it is winter in my front yard where I work on my car, I don't know when I will have the skid plate off before spring. But if I get the chance I will take photos.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
170 Posts
I didn’t do this modification, I believe I found pictures on this site, try a search. From my recollection the poster cut the stock plastic with a multi-master (epic tool by the way, less likely to melt the plastic) or Dremel, drilled through holes and used pop rivets to secure them.

Without I do get a bit more dirt in the lower engine bay but at the same time dirt is less likely to be trapped since rain water rinses as well. I’m not overly worried about it, the top of the bay stays clean as it would otherwise and I try to give a good rinse every month or so to wash salt out of the suspension / brakes and lower engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts