Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2017 - Anyone have A/C problem after condensor recall?

('14-'18) 
913 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MarkL 
#1 ·
Vehicle Details:
2017 Forester 2.5i premium
I had my condensor replaced beginning of last summer, A/C worked great. Just had first hot day of the year yesterday and it was adequate but not great. I'm wondering if this could be the result of a slow leak from the condensor replacement. Has anyone else had problems after the condensor replacement? It's been one year, hopefully if it's the result of the work they did it will still be covered. Taking it to the dealer on Friday.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the compressor is working. The air gets cooler as I drive faster, which is normal to some degree, it just never gets cold enough and it's not really very cold at all during idle. I assume that's because there's too little refrigerant circulating.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I had my condenser replaced last year as well, A/C worked beautifully for the remainder of last summer. Now, this spring, I'm noticing that it "short cycles" cold air when the compressor kicks on and off, regardless of where the temperature is set or if recirculation is used.

I'll update if I learn anything more in the coming weeks.
Do you know if they put dye in your system and checked for leaks when they replaced your condensor? I didn't ask at the time, I'm wondering if that's a standard thing to do with that kind of repair.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Dealer said it was a little low on refrigerant, it was charged one year ago in May when they replaced the condensor, so either it's a really slow leak or it just started recently. They evacuated it and recharged with dye. He said as soon as I notice a loss in cooling to bring it back and they'll look for a leak, he said it might take months if it's that slow a leak. He said the compressor is cycling properly and clutch clearance is correct, and no other obvious problems. $185 for the work. Perfect timing, we're getting a heat wave next week.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.