Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of being very careful when I was stuck behind this dump truck, a rock flew up just when I was going to pass. It hit the upper corner of my windshield but luckily ended up with a small chip only. I am sure that should it hit anywhere else, the windshield would crack and I would've gone in for a third replacement. My dash cam caught the whole thing. I uploaded only a snapshot since the video would not show much because it happened so fast.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,963 Posts
You do have comprehensive insurance? What's to worry? This is pretty common occurrence where we live here in the DFW area and in the state of TX. Lot's of trucks and vehicles coming onto any highway from plenty of unpaved roads. I just had the windshield replace on my 2001 Forester S just last year and this year took a rock hit and had to get the chip filled in.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problems with crack windshield:
1. My deductible is $250.
2. Down time and inconvenience to have it repaired in the shop. Sometimes there is a wait for OEM (I have Eyesight)
3. Always uncertain how good the shop completes the job.
4. My last insurance company dropped my windshield coverage after 2 cracks within a year.
So...do I worry? Yes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,432 Posts
UGH! Sorry that happened - again, from what you wrote.

Mike

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,819 Posts
If you don't get the chip repaired it will likely develop into a crack, especially if you park in the hot sun. My third windshield on my 2018 did just that :(

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,963 Posts
@eelnod Is your insurance with ICBC or someone else? My old memory of ICBC is they cannot drop you for anything.....But things may have changed since I last lived there in 2001. Sounds like you need to change insurance company....

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
As far as needing to go OEM, most glass shops can install an OEM windshield, and many on the forum have had good results with EyeSight and non-OEM glass, despite what is said by the dealership (a scam in my opinion, likely abetted by the legal department).

If there is a Safelight Auto Glass location anywhere near you (I saw at least one listed in BC), they show up wherever you are parked, fix it and do a great job.
There is no reason you have to bend over and get "serviced" at a dealer. ;)

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't get the chip repaired it will likely develop into a crack, especially if you park in the hot sun. My third windshield on my 2018 did just that :(
The chip amounted to a small deep scratch so really nothing to fix. Otherwise I will use the DIY kit I sucessfully used before.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@eelnod Is your insurance with ICBC or someone else? My old memory of ICBC is they cannot drop you for anything.....But things may have changed since I last lived there in 2001. Sounds like you need to change insurance company....
You might recall that the government has a monopoly on compulsory basic car insurance forever, but their optional insurance are much more expensive than the third party ones. I agree they might not drop you, but you are already paying 20-40% more already and then they just simply jack up your rate next year. I did change to another party for my comprehensive coverage that included windshield. I also lowered my deductible for the windshield as I learned that a cracked windshield can happen just about anywhere anytime! Still, it's a PITA to have a repair done correctly.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no reason you have to bend over and get "serviced" at a dealer. ;)
The dealer here simply refers you to their favourite autoglass shop, who then directs your car to the dealer after the repair to have the Eyesight checked. That's my experience from the other two cracks.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,963 Posts
You might recall that the government has a monopoly on compulsory basic car insurance forever, but their optional insurance are much more expensive than the third party ones. I agree they might not drop you, but you are already paying 20-40% more already and then they just simply jack up your rate next year. I did change to another party for my comprehensive coverage that included windshield. I also lowered my deductible for the windshield as I learned that a cracked windshield can happen just about anywhere anytime! Still, it's a PITA to have a repair done correctly.
That's bad how that is all being handled. When I had the windshield repaired on my 2001 recently, I actually did not realize I did not have comprehensive coverage, so I paid out of pocket for the chip repair! It was $60 for the chip repair.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's bad how that is all being handled. When I had the windshield repaired on my 2001 recently, I actually did not realize I did not have comprehensive coverage, so I paid out of pocket for the chip repair! It was $60 for the chip repair.
They often waive the deductible if you opt for a repair rather than a replacement. My last repair done by Speedy Autoglass was poor. I since learned to do small repair by using a $5 DIY kit and it was not that hard. I think my repair was much better than Speedy's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts