Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We currently lease a 2017 Premium Forester with Eyesight and are coming to the end of the lease at the end of the year. We have shopped the 2019 models with CarPlay, but given the amount we've already invested in the vehicle through the lease, we can't see paying for a new vehicle and another $8-10K simply to get CarPlay. Beyond CarPlay, we have been very happy with the vehicle as a whole. Safety suite, AWD, and 34-35mpg on the highway in an SUV? Yes, please!

We are leaning towards purchasing the vehicle at the end of the lease and opting for an aftermarket CarPlay receiver. Virtually all of the stock features would be maintained like HD Radio and steering wheel controls, with some minor exceptions like XM radio (we don't use it). One feature I've become accustomed to having with the Forester is the ability to pause and resume live AM/FM radio. It's basically like a DVR for what you're listening to on the radio, without any recording after the fact, if you haven't seen it yet. It's the little pop-out tray you can tap on to the right when the radio is playing. Thus far, I haven't come across any after market brands/models that offer this.

Simply put, if you've opted for an aftermarket CarPlay receiver, have you seen this feature on your device?

If it turns out there aren't any that have this feature, we might be holding off until CES 2020 to see what features the new receivers will have.

Thanks in advance! 馃榿

Registered
2018 Forester CVT
I haven鈥檛 seen that feature on my Kenwood 9904s but I seldom listen to HD radio; for local drives I listen to Aha or I heart streaming only the free. For long drive with my old ride I used an iPod for music at least the music I prefer. Now that feature you talk about is similar to my channel master DVR as it does record some live tv on the fly that I may have missed I can go back to re-play during the broadcast.
Its a feature I never thought of.
lou cioccio

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lou! My wife and I typically listen primarily to the local NPR stations, so the feature comes in handy. e.g., Getting something at a drive-thru restaurant and you want to hear the rest of the broadcast? Pause! One of the kids asks you a question and you want to hear the rest of the broadcast? Pause! 馃榿 Streaming or iPhone music tends to be for longer rides as well as being geared around keeping our young children happy. I'm honestly surprised that I'm not able to find this built into the aftermarket head units. The whole point of that market is to effectively upgrade to new features while keeping the baseline functionality that you had. A little research, thus far, has turned up articles from 2010-2011 about this feature in stock radios from a number of car manufacturers. As I've heard others say, there shouldn't be a radio that doesn't have HD Radio capabilities, and I would add the same for the AM/FM radio cache/buffer that we see in the Forester stock receivers. Looks like I might be waiting until CES 2020 to see what will be in the mix next year. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I haven鈥檛 seen that feature on my Kenwood 9904s but I seldom listen to HD radio; for local drives I listen to Aha or I heart streaming only the free. For long drive with my old ride I used an iPod for music at least the music I prefer. Now that feature you talk about is similar to my channel master DVR as it does record some live tv on the fly that I may have missed I can go back to re-play during the broadcast.
Its a feature I never thought of.
lou cioccio
Well, I contact Alpine directly (they don't have a customer support email that they list) to ask them about it. They basically said, "We've never had that as a requested feature." Well, they have now, so time will tell. Given the amount of RAM that's built into some of these systems, the prospect of caching the audio from an AM/FM broadcast should be doable at the level of the operating system. For example, assuming one can pause and cache Sirius or Pandora/Aha (assuming that happens on the device itself), and resume as needed, then there isn't anything besides coding holding back the unit from doing likewise on these receivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts