Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Premium base model Forester. I've installed an aftermarket amp under the passenger seat and now I want to upgrade the speakers.

I've been working with Crutchfield for the parts, and they sent me coax speakers for the rear doors, which I can install no problem. They told me I needed components in the front. This is more work than I want to do mainly because I don't want to mess with the crossover.

My first question comes in here: Does the Forester with the standard 6-speaker base option already have a crossover (since it's got tweeters in the dash already)? If this is the case, theoretically I should just be able to swap out the old tweeter in the dash and woofer in the door without having to mess with wiring the crossover, right?

My second question: I got Polk Audio DB 6502's for the front components... if I install them without the crossover, will that cause any issues on the speaker end, since they come with crossovers that they are supposed to be installed with?

If the Forester's stock setup doesn't have crossovers, is this a part that I need to install if I want to put the Polk components in the front?

If it seems like I'm gonna have to put crossovers in, I will be returning them and saving up a little more money to get the plug and play Kicker upgrade. I just wonder since those are components (they have a woofer and a tweeter) but don't require a crossover to be installed... that makes me think that maybe these Polks would be okay without the crossover installation.

Thanks y'all. I did search and couldn't find the answer to these specific questions. If I am repeating anyone else's post I am super sorry!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
40 Posts
If you've already installed the amp, the hard work is done. Just mount the crossovers on a board next to the amp. Or, alternatively, does your amp have integral crossovers? If so you can use them instead of the passive crossovers that came with your component set. Run the rear speakers directly off the head unit and, assuming you have a 4 channel amp, use the amps 4 channels to run the mids and tweeters of the component set in front. Find out the crossover frequency of your passives and duplicate that using the electronic crossovers built into your amplifier. To answer your question, the speakers will not sound right without the crossovers and potentially the tweeters could be damaged if they are fed a full range signal.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the amp I have:
w w w .crutchfield.c o m/p_130GMD1004/Pioneer-GM-D1004.html
It's the Pioneer GM D1004.
I can't tell if it already has integrated crossovers... Can anyone help me figure that out?

If I use the crossovers that came with the components, I would have to plug the signal coming from the amp into the crossover, and then wires going from the crossover to both the tweeter and the door speaker... But the amp is only 4 channels so that means I'd have to run new wire from the crossover to the tweeters, right?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
40 Posts
Unfortunately, the integral crossovers on your amp are fixed at 80hz, which will not be useful to split the signal for a component set. You would have to set the crossovers on the amp to the off position and run the wires to the passive crossovers that came with your components, then run wires to the mids and tweeters from there.
A very basic configuration similar to the factory set up could be made by bridging the 4 channels on your amp into 2, then installing a capacitor in line before each tweeter to limit the low frequencies. That way you could do without the crossovers from the component set. You can get such a capacitor from Crutchfield. A single capacitor amounts to only a 6db per octave reduction, so you would want to be conservative and get 5 khz. Sometimes these capacitors are sold as "bass blockers." In this senario you would be relying on the natural frequency roll off of the mids to blend the sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts