Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Forester 2.0XT Touring (47,000 miles) from the dealer and I have noticed it behaving oddly after driving around in the heat (over 95degrees outside). symptoms have been having a hard time holding the idol steady at stops, loss of cold air from AC at stops, and jerky/sluggish coming out of stops. My mechanic believes it might be a computer issue with trying to adjust for the unusually hot ambient air mixing with the temps in the engine itself after being driven a while. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Do you know if the AC compressor or condenser and hoses have been replace at the dealer? There was (is?) an issue with the AC system on 2017 model year Foresters - search this site for the many posts about it. That could be the reason for the loss of cold air from the AC.

As for the unsteady idle and sluggish starts, that could be a myriad of things. As you just bought the Foz, I'd suggest going to the dealer and doing a drive-a-long with a service department person to show them the problems and have them "see" or feel what you're feeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I actually did take it straight tot eh dealer the first time it happened thinking that it might be a transmission issue. They checked everything out on the tranny and all seemed fine. then we did go on a test run together but, I think, by then everything had cooled down from the car being in the repair bay for over an hour. He said it might be a dirty fuel injector and suggested that I go and get a cleaner to add at my next fill up which I did. but still have the issue.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
I would think that they would have cleaned the injectors when prepping the car for sale... Hmmm... Is it a Subie dealer or somebody else?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
111 Posts
yeah....your mechanic sounds "nice" LOL
Hot weather has jack **** to do with it. The problem is engine related. Any Check engine lights coming on? Did you fill up with ****ty gas? anything below 91 octane will do odd things. So would a small vacuum leak. Is it making full boost? Is it minus vacuum on the boost gauge at idle?
The AC is something to look at. As said already take it back to your dealer. Let them figure it out. I"m sure it wasn't this way when you test drove it right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah....your mechanic sounds "nice" LOL
Hot weather has jack **** to do with it. The problem is engine related. Any Check engine lights coming on? Did you fill up with ****ty gas? anything below 91 octane will do odd things. So would a small vacuum leak. Is it making full boost? Is it minus vacuum on the boost gauge at idle?
The AC is something to look at. As said already take it back to your dealer. Let them figure it out. I"m sure it wasn't this way when you test drove it right?
No check engine lights coming on and the car behaves just fine at the start of the day and only shows signs after a hours into a road trip and then not until I get off the highway and into stop & go traffic.
I did catch it acting up while just running a lot of errands around town the other day. Not nearly like during the road trip but when I got back into the car after stopping for lunch at a restaurant I caught it doing this when I turned it on.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
19 Posts
I have a '17 XT and when the engine bay gets heat soaked after moderately long drives on a 90+ degree day, the transmission jerks after coming to a complete stop. It feels like you are pulsating the brake pedal. I read in another forum that this happens when the transmission gets very hot and the ECU has trouble figuring out what to do. Once you go over 2 mph it goes away.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
There are a few TSBs regarding the reflashing of the ECM/ECU for the XT models specifically. Might be good to find out if it's ever been done? And if not, get it done? Go to the Subie dealer for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts