Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
764 Posts
Just had the A/C condenser replaced. $760.00 How can I get Subaru to pay?
Once you pay out of pocket, for out of warranty repair work, I think it’s a challenge to get reimbursed from SOA.

Preserve all documents and communications and contact SOA and be very diplomatic. SOA knows there is a problem with their condensers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined to say it doesn’t appear so. I have a 2018 2.5i Premium (my seventh Subaru) and I guess the compressor munched itself over the weekend while my wife had the car down in Florida. I was quoted $2300 to replace the compressor and condenser because the car is out of warranty by about 5000 miles. Warranty or not, it’s a little ridiculous that a two-year old car would have a catastrophic failure like that. Car went to the dealership yesterday, going to sit down and discuss my options later today.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
5 Posts
My 2017 Forester with around 60k had no air conditioning at the beginning of this summer. Condenser had two noticeably wet oil spots on it near some minor fin damage and all the refrigerant was gone. I have the gold package extended warranty. I had a bad feeling the dealer would try to blame it on road debris damage and not want to warranty it, but when I took it in they made absolutely no argument and replaced the condenser and then the compressor as they said it was noisy after getting the system working. I only paid the $100 warranty deductible but I'm sure it would have not been cheap without it. I felt a lot better about having been talked into the extended warranty by the dealer after this.

I think the original condensers are extremely fragile and failure is likely almost guaranteed over time. I have no idea if the replacements are any better. I've been thinking about adding some mesh to the holes in the bumper to help keep rocks and other inevitable road debris from hitting the condenser. I've seen many other vehicles with some bent fins and such on condensers after a lot of miles but they typically don't cause leaks like this.

It also appears running the system with low refrigerant can kill the compressor. I believe there is a TSB on this. The receiver/dryer is part of the condenser on these cars (not something I've seen before) and sits significantly lower than the compressor. I have to wonder if a lot of the oil gets trapped down there and starves the compressor of oil under the low refrigerant condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My evaporator on my Forester 2016 went a few days ago. I guess I was lucky that the dealership had the part in stock. I have 55,000 miles. It appears that Subaru Forester has air conditioning problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my 2017 Forester. A/C started with intermittent cooling issues, then stopped cooling altogether, the dealer had to replace the A/C condenser. From the number of similar comments on this thread it seems this should be a recall issue. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty, but I will still question the need to pay my deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue on a Forester 2018 with 30k miles. Noticed that AC was blowing warm air. Took vehicle into service, and they found multiple holes in the condenser (marked by dark patches where the freon was escaping). As an added bonus, there was also a pinhole leak in my radiator that was leaking coolant.

Service center is quoting me $2100 to replace the condenser and the radiator. They claim that the damages are not covered by warranty because they are environmental (road particles).

Very frustrating, given that I only drive on local roads and freeways. Here are some photos:

Condenser (black spots are where freon is leaking):

Radiator (zoom in to see pinhole leak squirting coolant):

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update, it took two weeks but the dealership replaced everything under warranty. They said SOA wouldn’t step in because the repair was over $2000, so the dealership took care of it. Shout out to Subaru of Gwinnett for their awesome customer service!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,669 Posts
My recent appointment got cancelled because their testing machine broke. They now have a new one, and I'm scheduled for next Friday for my 2018. Still within warranty by a day or two.

The 2016 is doing fine.

181 - 189 of 189 Posts