Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC on my '17 XT started blowing warm air sporadically and within a few days was providing effectively no cooling. Took it to the dealership and they said Subaru is having a problem with the condensers and they are currently back ordered. Has anyone else had problems or heard any other stories?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
289 Posts
First I have heard of this.

Most likely what has happened is the supplier who manufactures the condensers for Subaru had some sort of flaw and the condensers are not allowing the system to function properly. I bet it has blocked passageways or something similar. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the STIS so I can't check for TSB's.

Hopefully the problem is isolated to a small number of vehicles. Hope they get it solved soon :)

-KG

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealership couldn't give an estimate of when they would have the part it, understandable for a back ordered part. Good thing temperatures are starting to cool off here. Will give an update once I hear more from the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,048 Posts
Sounds worrisome. Even if the condenser not exchanging heat as it should, it should provide some cooling. I would be concerned that it's a cleanliness issue, and dirt and manufacturing debris have been cycled through the system. If this is the root cause, then you'll have more issues, even after the condenser is replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
2 Posts
Hey There

I Also have my 2017 XT with no AC at this point and the first Subaru dealer I took they said that the damage was caused by a rock, no warranty!

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,048 Posts
Have you called your insurance company?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
5 Posts
I have the same problem with the condenser on my 2017 Forester. I guess I should consider myself fortunate as it was diagnosed as an internal leak. No clear answer on the warranty though, but the repair has not been done.

Subaru seems to be helping me as they have responded to my e-mails and investigating and have contacted the dealer. The dealer not so much as he's stopped returning my calls with no part outlook. They first had me drop the car off claiming they had the part only to find out later it is back-ordered and was told 1000's of people are waiting. I was not happy.

I figured I'd see a lot more folks complaining here.

Anxiously waiting...

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
Exact same issue with my '17. I brought it in to the dealer September 18th for the same issue (no cooling) and they diagnosed a faulty AC Condenser that caused the refrigerant to leak out, which would be covered under warranty. They re-charged the system in the interim, which lasted only for a day or so.

There must be a bad batch of them (perhaps a faulty weld?), since I also was told the part was back ordered nationally. I just got a call yesterday that the part had been shipped and should arrive at my dealer early next week.

Not sure whether it's relevant, but I have an early model year '17 that I bought in August 2016.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
5 Posts
Well, the dealer called Friday and told me the outlook now is 6-8 weeks, however he's escalated it (can't recall the exact term) and it may be in as early as one week.

Subaru was supposed to get back to me on 10/27. Haven't heard from them.

I bought mine in August 2016 as well. Maybe there is something to that, the early ones have the issue.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased in July on 16. It is beginning to look like it was the early cars from 2017 production year that are having the issue.

This past Friday was one month since I was at the dealership. I am going to call and check in on Monday to see what the status is. It is pretty disapointing that the dealer hasn't made contact with me in a month to keep me up to date.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
Update: Condenser replaced yesterday under warranty. Fixed for now -- will monitor to see if it continues to blow cold. Parts guy said that Subaru updated the part, so they may have pulled the existing stock, causing backlog.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
Bad condenser

Same here. I've been waiting for my dealer to get a condenser since late August. I hope it doesn't take too much longer. I want to be able to defog my windshield when the weather gets bad. I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they were somewhat apologetic and explained that this is an issue. For a while I was wondering if they just didn't want to bother with a pain in the butt warranty repair.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope it doesn't take too much longer. I want to be able to defog my windshield when the weather gets bad.

Same here. The temperatures here in Buffalo have started to turn. Driving to work early in the morning I have had to start blowing hot air on the windshield to keep it from fogging even though I am already warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
183 Posts
Update: Condenser replaced yesterday under warranty. Fixed for now -- will monitor to see if it continues to blow cold. Parts guy said that Subaru updated the part, so they may have pulled the existing stock, causing backlog.
Hi, do you if there is a new part number for the condenser? I’m also replacing mine soon so I would like to make sure that the dealer is using the updated version

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
James06,

I don't have a part number, but you should be able to speak to your dealer about it. From what I understand, the dealers don't have the condensers on hand, and the backlog is related to getting the parts shipped from overseas.

Hope this helps.

JFM

·
Registered
2017 Forester
5 Posts
My 2017 got fixed yesterday. As far as I can tell it's fixed, but we're having a cold snap here in NY. Dealer was kind enough to give a loaner for the day.

I was told it was replaced with a superseded part directly from the manufacturer and that many will wait until January while they fill they backlog.

It did take 4 attempts to start it later in the evening, not sure what that's all about. Engine cranked, it just wouldn't start. Let's hope that's just a fluke.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fellow Forester owners,

From what I am reading it seems that it is a flawed design from the beginning of our model. I have a 2015 bought in december 2014 with the same problem. I live in Miami so it always hot down here. With my mechanic (I have never trusted BS dealers down here) we concluded that the problem could be the compressor or the expansion valve. Now by reading this thread it is definitely the compressor. Does any body can share the replacement part number of the new compressor? I am already over 60k miles and I could care less on warranty or BS dealers! I am doing the work myself.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 189 Posts