Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this standard? "Major service" 30k/60k/90k service each time it is $695?
Should I take my vehicle elsewhere this seems excessive?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Detail please what services are offered 4 this price... oil change, front and rear diff fluid change ,CVT DRAIN N FILL included?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Major Service I (every 30 and 90 months)
Mileage Intervals
30,000 / 90,000
Most Models: $649.95
6 Cylinder Models: $825.95
Turbo Models (before 2010): $789.95
Synthetic Oil Models: $799.95
We will perform the following services:
  • Replace engine oil per specifications for your model
  • Replace filter with Genuine Subaru oil filter
  • Check and top off all fluids
  • Rotate tires and set tire pressures
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace Spark Plugs (if applicable)
  • Replace Air Filter
  • Inspect Brake Pads and entire Braking system
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Check Axle Boots and Shafts (front & rear)
  • Check operation of clutch system (if applicable)
  • Inspect Steering and Suspension systems
  • Inspect Cooling system/Replace Engine Coolant as needed
  • Inspect Camshaft Drive Belt (if applicable)
  • Inspect Wiper Blade condition
  • Inspect Fuel lines and system operation
  • Inspect and Top Off Differential (front & rear)
  • Inspect and Top Off Transmission Fluid
  • Complete multi-point inspections
  • Inspect OBD system for any fault codes
  • Replace side or marker bulbs as needed
  • Complimentary Vehicle Hand-Wash
Prices may vary depending on model year and equipment.
STI prices higher.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you pay the dealer for this service you are just paying for his kid's college tuition. Seriously, look at what they are charging you for: 10 of 21 "actions" are inspections. That means they will look (maybe, maybe not) at the area noted and be happy to recommend a repair at an additional cost.. In fact, most of the inspections will be visual (i.e. look for leaking fuel, or wiperblade condition). If you subtract about a $ 100 bucks for the oil change and tire rotation (when they can look at the brakes for no additional time on their part), you are paying a ton of money for nothing. YOU can replace your engine and cabin filter in about 5 minutes for about $ 25 in parts. If you really think you need all the stuff looked at, find an independent shop and ask them to do it

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
If they just included what I detailed,which should be done, it should be worth the price.

At least have the diff fluid replaced.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,270 Posts
What model year do you have? Check the maintenance schedule in your Warranty and Maintenance booklet and only do those items required (ie, engine oil & filter, brake fluid, engine air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation). Make a list of those items and ask your dealer to give you a price just for those specific services. If the cost is excessive then go to another Subaru dealer or seek out a reputable independent shop, preferably an independent Subaru-only shop. Most Subaru dealers have a complimentary multi-point inspection with any service, so ask for that when you have the required services performed.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,829 Posts
Absolutely agree. I have never had the dealer do their entire "package" but have requested the ala carte services that are specified in the manual IF I chose not to do them myself. Engine and cabin air filters are so easy and cost about $15-20 for each filter and take a couple minutes instead of paying the dealer $100 each. I don't fault dealers for trying to stay in business, but I do fault them for bundling unnecessary services into a huge-priced service package that they imply is "required" but is really not. Coolant lasts 137k miles or something and you can look at the level in the overflow tank....your dealer is gonna look at the tank and not replace it if your mileage is under $137k. Lot of fancy words for meaning "do a few things and check over a few more things". The whole service will take a mechanic under an hour and use $100 in fluids and parts.

The $150 add-on for synthetic oil vehicles is a TOTAL ripoff that I find laughable; they pay $10-15 more at most for full syn oil at the dealer level.

·
Registered
2010 XT Forester
48 Posts
I've never taken my '13 OB in for a service. Or any other vehicle in my 33 years of driving. Totally not necessary. I'm not a mechanic I just learned to do all that basic maintenance myself, it's not difficult. Ok, I had them do the 100,000km CVT fluid change. Only just had my brake fluid changed at 130,000km !! Brakes felt a tad spongy. LISTEN TO YOUR CAR, it'll tell you if somethings wrong or going bad! 151,000 trouble free km's in my OB. Done all my own oil changes and brake pad changes and other inspections. Crikey, I'm not lining anyones pocket to grease door hinges, change my wiper blades and air filters! Everything you need to know is on Youtube. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,895 Posts
The severe gouging they want to inflict on your wallet is about right for your average stealership.
As others mention, most of what they are doing is looking.. and most of that is included as a complimentary inspection when they do an oil change.
  • Replace engine oil per specifications for your model - How detailed - You need a PHD for this
  • Replace filter with Genuine Subaru oil filter - Spins off
  • Check and top off all fluids - normally complimentary with an oil change
  • Rotate tires and set tire pressures - Get tires at Discount Tire and they do this for free
  • Replace cabin air filter - Buy a filter at autozone for $10 and look at a YouTube video - SIMPLE
  • Replace Spark Plugs (if applicable) - Not applicable on 30K, nor will they even check them
  • Replace Air Filter - If you can't do this, ask a third grader
  • Inspect Brake Pads and entire Braking system - They check for leaks - If your brake res is full no leaks
  • (ask the discount tire guy to look at your pads during a free rotation)
  • Replace Brake Fluid - This is a good idea every two to three years, but why pay through the nose
  • Check Axle Boots and Shafts (front & rear) - Rips or tears? Not hard to see.
  • Check operation of clutch system (if applicable) - Since there are no manual trans it ain't applicable
  • Inspect Steering and Suspension systems - How well does it corner on a "test drive" to pick up tacos..
  • Inspect Cooling system/Replace Engine Coolant as needed - Nope - If you can look at the overflow bottle
  • Inspect Camshaft Drive Belt (if applicable) - Your car doesn't have one
  • Inspect Wiper Blade condition - if you can't tell if your wipers need replacing, don't drive a car
  • Inspect Fuel lines and system operation - Smell gas? Nope - We're good.
  • Inspect and Top Off Differential (front & rear) - Dipstick up front - The rear is a plug..
  • Inspect and Top Off Transmission Fluid - another dipstick - add your own fluid at 1/3 of the cost
  • Complete multi-point inspections - Yeah... Like the one they do for free on the oil change
  • Inspect OBD system for any fault codes - Check engine light on? Get a scanner at Harbor Freight
  • Replace side or marker bulbs as needed - Right..
  • Complimentary Vehicle Hand-Wash - Finally something worthwhile..

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
235 Posts
Major Service I (every 30 and 90 months)
Mileage Intervals
30,000 / 90,000
Most Models: $649.95
6 Cylinder Models: $825.95
Turbo Models (before 2010): $789.95
Synthetic Oil Models: $799.95
We will perform the following services:
  • Replace engine oil per specifications for your model
  • Replace filter with Genuine Subaru oil filter
  • Check and top off all fluids
  • Rotate tires and set tire pressures
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace Spark Plugs (if applicable)
  • Replace Air Filter
  • Inspect Brake Pads and entire Braking system
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Check Axle Boots and Shafts (front & rear)
  • Check operation of clutch system (if applicable)
  • Inspect Steering and Suspension systems
  • Inspect Cooling system/Replace Engine Coolant as needed
  • Inspect Camshaft Drive Belt (if applicable)
  • Inspect Wiper Blade condition
  • Inspect Fuel lines and system operation
  • Inspect and Top Off Differential (front & rear)
  • Inspect and Top Off Transmission Fluid
  • Complete multi-point inspections
  • Inspect OBD system for any fault codes
  • Replace side or marker bulbs as needed
  • Complimentary Vehicle Hand-Wash
Prices may vary depending on model year and equipment.
STI prices higher.
I remember paying that much for the big service (timing belts, etc). Paying this money for a classic oil change and some filter renewals is hilarious.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember paying that much for the big service (timing belts, etc). Paying this money for a classic oil change and some filter renewals is hilarious.
Thanks I checked manual and only need a handful of items performed for the 30k service, I’ll buy the filters and replace them myself. They charge $89.95 to replace a $15 filter.

Item:
1. Replace engine oil
2. Replace engine oil filter
3. Tire rotation
4. Replace brake fluid

I was quoted a total of $309 before tax without any coupons. Then I’ll buy the two filters and save another ~$200 and also have a coupon for a free complimentary inspection and some $ off the oil change.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
43 Posts
Just had my 30k service done on my XT. They quoted $450 before I told them I had already replaced the engine and cabin filter. Final cost out the door was $250. All they showed doing was engine oil & filter and brake fluid replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
124 Posts
Some good info in this thread. Here's my question: I'm at 30 months but only have 5600 miles (and 1600 of those recently for a couple of road trips). I've done 2 oil changes and little or nothing else. What would posters recommend in my situation?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
83 Posts
Gosh, I had never considered doing anything under the hood other than check and replace windshield wiper fluid (but I'm very good at baking pies ;)). Various posts on this thread have encouraged me to take on changing those filters when it's time. Be a while though, just a bit over 900 miles on my 2019 Premium. Thanks to all for the tips!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Some good info in this thread. Here's my question: I'm at 30 months but only have 5600 miles (and 1600 of those recently for a couple of road trips). I've done 2 oil changes and little or nothing else. What would posters recommend in my situation?
Me personally, I would do nothing since your vehicle is still brand spanking new. If you're at all worried maybe have the brake fluid flushed/changed since it can absorb moisture. My pickup truck gets new brake fluid every 10 years and an oil change every 5 since it's always in the garage and we almost never drive it. It's 21 years old and still runs and drives like new.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
853 Posts
...only need a handful of items performed for the 30k service, I’ll buy the filters and replace them myself. They charge $89.95 to replace a $15 filter.

Item:
1. Replace engine oil
2. Replace engine oil filter
3. Tire rotation
4. Replace brake fluid

I was quoted a total of $309 before tax without any coupons. Then I’ll buy the two filters and save another ~$200 and also have a coupon for a free complimentary inspection and some $ off the oil change.
Much better, I'd pay to do this, just be sure to also change front and rear differential fluids. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts