Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking into the feasibility of retrofitting the 2019 Subaru WRX head unit into the 2017 Subaru Forester because my car has the HK sound system and there are not many head units with Apple Carplay that look stock and work well with the HK system.

I downloaded the wiring and service manuals for both cars and noticed that the connectors are almost all identical but there are a few extra wires that go into the WRX connectors when compared to the Forester's. I'm not sure what these do or if they will affect the functionality of the head unit. I want to understand them better before I order the parts for the retrofit, so I was hoping that someone here could help me out who knows more about wiring and harnesses. If this works out I'm happy to document the process for others!

For those of you who are curious about the connectors on the back of the WRX head unit you can see it attached below. I didn't want to post the entire document on here because I am new to all of this and don't know what is allowed here or allowed by Subaru.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the 2019 WRX terminal info for that diagram (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
20 Posts
Any updates on this project? I too am interested in doing this if it works. Not many aftermarket options to choose from if you have factory NAV and H/K which I do so this would be perfect.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
2 Posts
Not exactly what you asked about but I just replaced the OEM head unit with HK and NAV with a Kenwood DNX995S; 2017 Forester XT Touring.

I wanted to keep all of the base features like NAV and even added the Sirius tuner since it’s basically free after rebates. CarPlay was my main goal and it is awesome.

I used the Maestro rr unit with the SU 2 harness and their Toyota satellite cable bundle-used both the GPS and Sirius OEM connections. Steering wheel controls work great, STARLINK works, etc - no issues.

I can give more details if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
11 Posts
I just retro fitted my 14 forester with the starlink 7" navi from a 16 forester. It required some additional wiring but nothing to bad and the newer HK amp. But the original HK amp does work with the starlink (only the front speakers output sound).The pinout you had posted for the 19 wrx looks Identical to the forester. So in your case I think it would be plug and play. Not sure about the USB tho.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
36 Posts
Not exactly what you asked about but I just replaced the OEM head unit with HK and NAV with a Kenwood DNX995S; 2017 Forester XT Touring.

I wanted to keep all of the base features like NAV and even added the Sirius tuner since it’s basically free after rebates. CarPlay was my main goal and it is awesome.

I used the Maestro rr unit with the SU 2 harness and their Toyota satellite cable bundle-used both the GPS and Sirius OEM connections. Steering wheel controls work great, STARLINK works, etc - no issues.

I can give more details if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you give the Links to the Products you use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just retro fitted my 14 forester with the starlink 7" navi from a 16 forester. It required some additional wiring but nothing to bad and the newer HK amp. But the original HK amp does work with the starlink (only the front speakers output sound).The pinout you had posted for the 19 wrx looks Identical to the forester. So in your case I think it would be plug and play. Not sure about the USB tho.
Can you provide some tips on how you were able to do this?

I've currently got a Starlink (no Nav no HK amp) Headunit installed.

Last night I swapped it over to the Starlink (Nav + Amp) headunit, but i DO NOT have an AMP.

I was hoping for a straight swap as all the plugs fit without any issues.

Everything works, I even have sound. But I DO NOT have volume control. Any suggestions on how to get this working?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts