Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new car in a few months, i am coming from a VW GTI 2016. The new 2019 forester sounds great, but no turbo. After talking to a few people i have decided maybe the turbo edition is the way to go. I do like to have power and to have fun some. For the money would the 2017 or 2018 be a better way to go? Also i want it new so i can finance. I am assuming 2018s will be more available at dealerships. I just need some insight and thoughts on this. I want something with more room, we camp a lot and i do go mountain biking a bit. What are your experiences with the forester turbo models, daily drivers, tunes etc. My last 5 cars have been VWs with turbos. Thanks for any info, experiences you might share.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
I just got the last white 2018 xt in western Canada. They are almost all gone now. You may need to have one shipped from another state.

The xt’s are great. Had a 2017...loved just about everything minus the seats and windshield

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,785 Posts
Probably waited too long to getone with options/color you want. They were getting scarce 3 months ago

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr All-wheel Drive

I found a used 2018 with 24k miles for 31k. Its the xt Touring. Seems pretty awesome and its black. I would go for white or black so that works out. I am going to check it out Saturday. 31k seems like a good price, am i wrong?

2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr All-wheel Drive Market Price:$31,875.00

Also has premium package, turbo trailer hitch, remote start etc. 2k worth of stuff.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,081 Posts
Thomas:
Can’t say what new 2018 XTs might be selling at but that sounds high for a used version. I bought my 2015 XT Touring for 31, new.

Good luck,EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,785 Posts
Way too high.

Mine was 31,162 and I got it for 26,611..thats $4551 less than MSRP NEW!!

You should get AT LEAST $7000 off. offer them $7300 under MSRP.

·
Premium Member
14,785 Posts
I don't recall hearing why the turbo option is no longer available in 2019 Foresters. That was a big selling point for me in 2017.
For only 5 to 10% of buyers. I believe closer to 5%

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Limited Auto/CVT
10 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 Forester Limited. 2017 pricing was closer to what I was looking for. 2018 were still pretty high. 2019 even more so considering it has some really desirable new features.

I'm not sure if I'm correct but the 2019 has a "gas saving' feature where the car shuts off when stopped then restarts. That single feature would be a big No for me however.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,533 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm correct but the 2019 has a "gas saving' feature where the car shuts off when stopped then restarts. That single feature would be a big No for me however.
And you can turn it off...all manufacturers are moving in this direction based on Federal initiatives and fuel economy. If you are looking to own a 19 and do not like the Auto Start/Stop feature, just hit the switch:wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts

The most annoying, useless feature to be shoved down consumers throats imo.
Not to mention your starter motor would probably agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,533 Posts
First off @DockingPilot...I totally agree with part one of your reply. However, you are way off base on point two. Everyone seems to think that the starter motor is impacted by this technology. Do some research and you will find that this is not the case and these engines are designed to handle this very well and Subaru has been using this technology overseas since around 2013 so this is nothing new to Subaru. I believe there is a thread on either this forum or another Subie forum that outlines how the tech is implemented and why it's reliable and has zero impact on your starter motor. Just trying to help educate folks that have this untrue notion about starter motors and Auto Start/Stop.

Happy Friday everyone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
First off @DockingPilot...I totally agree with part one of your reply. However, you are way off base on point two. Everyone seems to think that the starter motor is impacted by this technology. Do some research and you will find that this is not the case and these engines are designed to handle this very well and Subaru has been using this technology overseas since around 2013 so this is nothing new to Subaru. I believe there is a thread on either this forum or another Subie forum that outlines how the tech is implemented and why it's reliable and has zero impact on your starter motor. Just trying to help educate folks that have this untrue notion about starter motors and Auto Start/Stop.

Happy Friday everyone:thumbsup:

Ok Larry, Illl give you that one. But it is still the most annoying feature I didnt ask for. Our Mercedes has it. My god, its like a 1978 diesel engine restart everytime we are at a light unless I remember to shut it off. In the Mercedes anyway, its horrid.
Oddly enough, I was recently shopping for F150’s. Some had this, some didnt. Strange no ? All 2018’s.
Unless this gets rolled back and hopefully it will, like you said Larry, we better get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
131 Posts
securityguy--I don't know enough to challenge what you're saying, but zero impact on the starter is about the most counterintuitive thing I've read in a while.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,533 Posts
I fully understand but do a little research...it doesn't operate like you may think.

·
Registered
2010 Forester & Legacy
38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
910 Posts
The most annoying, useless feature to be shoved down consumers throats imo.
The compact spare tire is quite horrible too. And if they're going to shove the compact spare down our throats they should at least have made the spare-tire well big enough to hold a fullsized spare. Nope.

A friend of a friend has a car that doesn't even have a spare! It has a can of compressed air with goop. I don't know if that's what the car came with new, or if the spare is just missing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts