Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First post here so apologies if this has been covered. I've got a 2017 Forester limited and haven't seen specific info on whether or not 16" wheels are a viable option in this specific year/trim. I've seen talk of other SJs running the smaller wheel, but couldn't confirm if there are different brakes used between years or trims that would effect clearance.

I've currently got the 1.5" adf lift installed w/ stock 17" wheels and 225/60/17 Yokohama geolander GO15 ATs. Would love to have some larger diameter Open Country AT 3s mounted on 16" wheels if it's a doable option. Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doable, especially since lifts installed. Open Country may be your preference, but for longevity and durability, I've found the M55s to be unbeatable.
See Tiresize.com for help in figuring profile and diameter (the first two listed apply).

Reactions: Joshvdz

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
396 Posts
16" wheels should work. I purchased a set of 4 wheels from a 2012 Forester (one of the last years that the smaller wheels were an option) for use with winter tires. The preferred tire size going from 225/60-17 would be 215/70-16 to provide the same diameter. I have the wheels, tires, TPMS sensors and center caps, but thanks to COVID and no travel never got them mounted up.

You can always go other tire sizes if you don't mind your gearing and speedo being off.

Reactions: Joshvdz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
16" wheels should work. I purchased a set of 4 wheels from a 2012 Forester (one of the last years that the smaller wheels were an option) for use with winter tires. The preferred tire size going from 225/60-17 would be 215/70-16 to provide the same diameter. I have the wheels, tires, TPMS sensors and center caps, but thanks to COVID and no travel never got them mounted up.

You can always go other tire sizes if you don't mind your gearing and speedo being off.
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely sounds like the route I'll be taking. Hope you get out for some adventures soon now that things seem to be improving!

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
79 Posts
After I got my Forester, I discovered that the 225/70R16 winter tires from my 1999 Rav4, also fit my 2017 Forester.
They are a 225/70R16. The offset has the tire moved out a quarter of an inch, but that helps with the chain clearance if I ever need them.
The background tire is a 235/70R16 BFG A/T KO2.

With the 22/65R17 BFG A/T KO2 on stock rims.

The Foz with the stock Yokohama tires.

The Rav had Yokohama tires when I got it, I had 2 flats in 3 days on mild gravel roads. I also learned that the car rode and handled very well, on a completely flat tire.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
396 Posts
Just as a warning for anybody following this thread: 16" wheels will work on NON-TURBO cars only. The XT models have larger front brakes, so it's 17" or larger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts