Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my 2016 FXT has 41k miles on it. I had a very nasty smell of burning oil after coming off the expressway the day I bought it (8-5-19). I took it to the dealer and they put me in a loaner car, and had it for 1.5 weeks. They pulled the engine and resealed the RH cam carrier along with a couple other gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc. I picked it up and low and behold; when I got off the expressway, burning oil smell, and smoke billowing from the engine bay. I took a picture of the skid plate the next morning and it was soaked with oil. Yesterday (8-25) I removed the skid plate, brakekleen'd it, and reinstalled. This morning I drove to work and it seems there is already some seepage on the skid plate. Has anyone ever encountered a leak like this? Just curious if there is a direction I can point the dealer to when I take it back in for a second time.

Video on the way home from the dealership 8-23:
it's kind of hard to see but if you look closely at that Fusion's rear bumper fascia you can see smoke billowing out the hood

Skid plate on 8-24 after dealer pulled engine and resealed RH cam carrier:

Skid plate on 8-26 after I removed yesterday and cleaned:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up, I dropped the car off back to the dealer and got back into a loaner. Hoping to have some more answers the Monday after Labor Day. Will post back with what the dealer comes up with.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
This must be very embarrassing for the dealer. I would ask them to return the car and purchase another. you might have gotten the forester built on the Monday after New Years.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
@1roamingnome lol..that's not gonna happen. Hard to believe they removed the engine, sealed it and it still leaks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This must be very embarrassing for the dealer. I would ask them to return the car and purchase another. you might have gotten the forester built on the Monday after New Years.
That's not really what I'm looking to have happen... I love the car and don't want anything different, I just want the dang oil leak repaired. I'll just keep pressing the issue with the dealer and with SOA till it's fixed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@1roamingnome lol..that's not gonna happen. Hard to believe they removed the engine, sealed it and it still leaks.
I can tell you they definitely removed the engine, and that the leak I brought it in for was still present after I picked it up... I can tell the engine came out because there was dried coolant that must have sprayed all over the fan shroud and engine cover, even on to the grille when the tech removed the upper rad hose. I can also see a hose clamp shaped indent on both rad hoses where the hose clamps must have stayed for a few days... And in my pic you can clearly see there is a decent leak happening even after I picked the car up from the dealership, like I mentioned in my OP, that pic (the one that shows oil on the skid plate) was taken the morning after I picked the car up from the dealer. I was scratching my head a bit because they sealed the RH cam carrier but the leak is on the LH front side of the engine... IIRC the cam carriers are on the back of the engine... Regardless, I'm not sure how this was missed and how the repair was insufficient but I trust it will get corrected. I did contact SOA, not to b*tch or demand anything, just to document the issue and to let them know that I'm not exactly thrilled about this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to the dealer. The adviser said the tech took it for a long test drive and let it idle on his hoist for 45+ minutes and it was bone dry and there was no smoke and no smell. He thinks there was a decent pool of residual oil stuck in the exhaust manifold heat shield that just took a few days to burn off. Finger crossed

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,620 Posts
When I checked my banjo bolt on my 07 at the turbo feed line for a screen (there wasn't one), oil dripped down the uppipe and pooled around the exhaust manifold. It smoked for weeks and I could smell it for probably 2000 miles. That stuff takes forever to burn off as it's very penetrative and is designed to take a lot of heat to burn off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I checked my banjo bolt on my 07 at the turbo feed line for a screen (there wasn't one), oil dripped down the uppipe and pooled around the exhaust manifold. It smoked for weeks and I could smell it for probably 2000 miles. That stuff takes forever to burn off as it's very penetrative and is designed to take a lot of heat to burn off.
Thank you Scooby24. That makes me feel better! I was wondering if it was residual oil burning off but just wasn't sure. I figured it would have stopped smelling after a few days but I'll give it some more time. The tech said it doesn't smell anymore though so we'll see (I haven't picked the car up yet). If it's still smoking or smelling I may just break down and remove and replace the headshields

1 - 9 of 9 Posts