Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,634 Posts
Physically, it should, I don't know that they would have changed up the splines and spindle style on the shaft in the column.

The biggest thing would be the clockspring connector being the same, and if using minimal wires, the resistance values of the switches in the wheel controls.

Some systems use resistors in each switch, and one or two wires for all the switches. The difference in resistance tells the computer which switch is selected.

It keeps the clockspring from having 20 or more circuits in it.

Chrysler did this, and in 2000, changed the resistance values, so even though the steering wheels would fit on older cars, the buttons would not work, or would possibly do the wrong function.
(Basic Cruise Control)

·
Registered
2016 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. That is what I thought as well regarding clockspring connectors being possibly different.

Thanks to your post, I learned something new regarding resistance values for different switches. I've always wondered why the clockspring didn't have a ton of wires for modern steerings.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,634 Posts
Not too difficult, if the newer wheel can be sourced for little money, or borrowed to check the connector, and ohm out the functions to see if they match.

The beauty of the dodge neon steering wheels, is the cruise control pods could be swapped between them, at least for 1996 to 2002.

It doesn't look like this is possible here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.