Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a '16 XT with about 20K km on it. On some cold starts, I notice a bit of white smoke that lasts a few seconds. I park in an inclined driveway with the front lower than the rear. I owned a few 2.0l Turbos (Saab, etc) and a few boxers (VW, Alfa Romeo, BMW bike). In any case, turbos some time tend to deposit a bit of oil in the intercooler, boxers tend to cumulate some oil in the cylinders... but this is a new car...so not sure if I should be concerned. The only other time I notice what seems to be white smoke is upon very hard accelerations to pass (agressive) 90km-h to 120 @ close to full boost.

This cold start smoke occurs on occasion, not on every cold start, and in the summer (winter = hard to tell).

I check my oil regularly, all good. I always let the turbo warm up and cool down. Change the oil avery 6-8K (km)... not that this should change anything this early in its life.

Anyhow, any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,
DJT.

·
Banned
2017 FOrester 2.5i cvt
612 Posts
Try a warm start( just after a long drive) to see if it still exhibits the same.

No?,,, then it's just condensation- byproduct of combustion (and a cold overniight sit).

Just about ANY car will do this to the point of water dribbling out of the pipe.(not so much in Phoenix...)

Montreal is another matter.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, It never does it on a warm start. It's definitely oil (not condensation). White smoke cloud that floats around for a while. I have my 30K Km service comping up so will converse with the dealer on the issue.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Limited AT
385 Posts
I'd be curious to know as well as I've had this startup smoke a couple times now on my '17 XT with about 14k km on it.

Like you, it's on occasion, once or twice while the Forester was parked in the garage.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, had the 30K maintenance done last week. They inspected the charge-pipe (not clear on which one this refers to - pre or post turbo) of the turbo to check for oil deposit that would result from a suspected blow-by but said they found nothing. They suggested we inspect further if this persists...which it clearly will. In that case, I will need to leave them the car to reproduce the issue.. but not sure what that would do for them. I did, however, notice a small amount of smoke on startup the morning of my visit to the dealer after the car had been parked overnight on a FLAT surface. This eliminates the link to parking in a slope. I still have the impression that this happens mostly if the car was driven hard the day before and parked overnight. Again, NEVER happened on warm start. A good friend of mined mentioned having the same thing once in a while; even black smoke on occasion on his older XT, but never investigated further as it was a lease.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update: did not see the white smoke for over a year now (winter + summer). I have been making sure that the dealer does not overfill the oil.. might be the reason behind it...taking care of the oil changes myself from now... around 60K km now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts