Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Touring
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 Issues, probably related.......1) We noticed awhile back that when my wife has her Samsung phone plugged into the USB (and not using the phone) that phones battery does not charge, it shows its is charging,but the battery decreases on her phone, even though she is not using it!! 2) I started to charge up her battery with a trickle charger and it was taking forever (Never used to take this long) I had fully charged the battery and she went on a short 4 day trip and left her car at the airport...came back and car would not start..dead battery! Attendant at airport said it was probably because she had left the USB cable plugged in......sure enough, once I had charged up the battery, and she no longer leaves the USB cable plugged in....the battery has been fine and when I go and trickle charge it, within a very short time, it is full.......I would think something is wrong with the USB port.....any suggestions? And of course it us out of warranty,lol ty

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,263 Posts
@Flames9 I'd wager on getting a new charging cable , first, before messing with the car .

Yanking on the cable to disengage from the phone is hard on them, or could be just shoddy workmanship/ design that screwed up the cable.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
41 Posts
@Flames9 Like other commenters above, I wouldn't expect the USB ports to be active with the key off, so that is quite strange. You could test it with a simple USB device (or even a thumb drive and see if it stays lit up when you turn off the key).

In regards to the "drains the phone battery", @Makingforestergreatagain suggestion of a new cable is likely. I had a tablet that was EXTREMELY picky about the charge cable - if you didn't use the exact OEM one, it would actually discharge the battery when you plugged it in. It was quite frustrating!

·
Administrator
11,838 Posts
if you didn't use the exact OEM one, it would actually discharge the battery when you plugged it in. It was quite frustrating!
I think Samsung is not that fussy; I charge my S8 with different power levels and different sources. Also my Samsung Smart PC doesn't seem too fussy either. It's usually that stuff dedicated to fruit that gives problems when not using OEM accessories.

To me it sounds like there may be an open circuit in the accessories system causing a voltage drain via anything that is plugged in and drawing power. Someone with access to circuit diagrams may be able to give some clues.

PS - have you had this vehicle since new?

·
Registered
2016 Forester Touring
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty all for the suggestions. Yes have had it since new. Wife had mentioned awhile backthat her phone was dying, even though it was plugged in....Samsung phone is nearly 4 yrs old, so figured maybe it was a phone issue. Now we just leave the USB cable unplugged and no more issues! I should plug my phone and see if it will charge or not. Was hoping (for my sake) it was a common issue,lol

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
41 Posts
I think Samsung is not that fussy;
Amusingly enough, the tablet that had this issue was a Samsung. Granted, it was a couple generations ago. I've never had any issues with the phones though (they seem to be cable-indifferent).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts