Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the tweeter with a set of kickers I have. But I don't want to cut the factory wiring. I'd prefer to just buy a connector like you can for the door speakers. I haven't popped out the tweeter to look at the connector yet, but is it the same as the door connector? If not, can you buy one?

·
HCFFHC
2017 Forester 2.0XT
247 Posts
No one has made a connector as of yet. So you will have to cut the plug off and solder in the wires

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one has made a connector as of yet. So you will have to cut the plug off and solder in the wires
Looking online, it sure looks like the same connector as the door speakers. Cutting them is not ideal.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,325 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the tweeters on the top of the dash...I replaced the stock tweeters on my 2018 Limited with Kicker tweeters and the existing plug fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I'm talking about that tweeter location, but I'm not talking about using the subaru tweeters made by kicker. I have an after-market set I bought that does not have the subaru connector.

·
HCFFHC
2017 Forester 2.0XT
247 Posts
I talked with Crutchfield when I was looking to upgrade mine. They assured me that it is not the same plug and that I would have to cut the wires. But I never tried, so be my guest. Would be nice to know if they are wrong

·
HCFFHC
2017 Forester 2.0XT
247 Posts
Does cutting the plug void the warranty?
No. Now if you screw up and short something out, then yes. But if everything is done professionally, solder and heat shrink, then no your warranty will be fine.

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main reason for me for not cutting wires is that when I sell my cars, I typically remove the stereo and go back to stock. Much easier than having to solder the factory connectors back on.

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the plug end on the tweeters is not the same as the door speakers. Why they would chose different ones is beyond me. So if you don't want stock, you will have to cut the wire or remove the connector from the old tweeters.

·
Registered
2019 Convenience / EyeSight CVT
52 Posts
My installer saved it by splicing into the factory wiring about 1.5 inch from the connector, then soldered and taped the junction. Had I seen him do it I would have told him to just cut off the plug and go direct. He was able to use the factory plugs for the 6x9 replacement door speakers though.

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soldering connections like these in a car is a bad idea in a car. There's a reason manufacturers always use crimped connections. The virbrations in a car will cause solder joints to weaken and crack over time.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Forester i-S
3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts