1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
forester 2.0D from 2016
Had service done in June, I did 4000km since (mostly motorway but some forest road as well), with a noise like enhance turbo noise in the cabin.

I thought first it was because the noise was passing through engine bay to cabin through a hole or something badly refited...check cabin filter ok was not that...
as I drive with music on it was not that bad but yesterday with music off, there where no doubt: definitely too noisy...

Checked engine bay and discovered they did not close back the engine air filter box properly and there where a gap of around 5mm at the bottom of box and sides...only the top was in correct position with its 2 clips...looks like the noise I was hearing was air passing by this opening...refitted (simply open the box and close it back properly) ...noise gone.
Apart from the fact that they did not fit back correctly the diesel filter (all pipes going to and coming from filter were moving freely instead of being blocked in braces/clips I put them back as well), and the usual issue with 1/2 liter excess oil that they had to drain the day after the service... let's say that i'm slightly disappointed by this subaru dealer.

Do you think the air filter issue could have damaged the engine or turbo? what do you recommend to do or watch now that it's done? (I called and give the subaru dealer my opinion on the job they did and I called national subaru customer service to complain)
pretty upsetting, the fact that a professional does not know how to do simple task like servicing a car and that me inexperienced man, (not car mechanic) can spot the problems pushes me away from that dealer...but next one is 1.5hrs away that makes things very uncomfortable for a simple service.

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
Nasty !!
Thought this only happens in our backwaters..
My opinion - unless you passed through a dust storm you should be good.
Did you take pics of this professional oversight? Jeez!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
BobK25 is right. It is doubtful damage was done.

This could be your (@nounounounou) impetus to learn to do certain things yourself instead of bringing it somewhere. You clearly are paying attention to your car, which is better than most people so you're halfway there.
It will save you cost, you'll learn from it and can take pride in being able to do it yourself. Nothing sweeter than gear oil under your fingernails, holding a steering wheel to a car you just fixed. Eventually, it will make you wonder why nobody thought to make a WD40 smelling soap and body spray. :)
Start simple, with oil changes and work your way up.

I suspect most here aren't mechanics by trade (myself included) and started that way at one point.

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right but to keep the warantee (the extended one starts now) it is better to have it done at subaru dealer (plus the fact that the previous service they updated the software of the gearbox and other things I can't do nor am I equiped to ...like reset the oil dilution counter etc...)
I was paying to have peace of mind but it seems though it is more trouble having the "professionals" do it...
my next move will probably be to have the next service in madrid's subaru dealer and see if they work better in the capital...
I'm planning to have the cvt oil changed in 2 years so I'd better start looking around for a real serious mecanician..
very disapointed by the fact that I can't trust anybody for easy service...praying that i'll never have to face a breakdown :( ...I might never have my car back in correct working condition

1 - 4 of 4 Posts