Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New to Subaru, have leased my whole life but retiring in the next 5-10 years and want to buy a car that I can hold for many years.

Looking at a
2016 Subaru Forester2.5i CVT
8,868 miles
list price $20,900
Carfax looks good other than one "tire" repair
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
  • NHTSA #19V149000
  • Recall #WUE90 BRAKE LAMP SWITCH REPLACEMENT

Thoughts? Can I get some kind of warranty from Subaru?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,301 Posts
Thoughts? Can I get some kind of warranty from Subaru?
The original warranty does transfer to subsequent owners, but the car is probably over three years old, or very very close. It will still have time left on the 5-year engine/drivetrain warranty, and the 10-year CVT extension.

If it is still within the three-year original warranty (ie, it was originally purchased September 2016 or later, meaning it was still on the lot as the 2017s were arriving) you can still buy an extended warranty from Subaru ("Subaru Added Security"). But it seems like a long shot. You'll need to know the original purchase date. Here's one place you can buy a plan from: https://www.planetsubaru.com/added-security-extended-warranty.htm

Any Subaru dealer will perform the recall repair for free.

Despite the unusually low miles, as always with any used car not sold as certified and provided with a full warranty, you should have a trusted independent mechanic inspect the vehicle before you buy it.

In general, 2016 was a good year for Foresters.

What is the trim level: Base, Premium, Limited, Touring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response and info. I have not yet seen the vehicle in person and it’s not clear to me which trim level it is from their listing (see link below). The carfax states that the vehicle was purchased in Dec 2015.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's sometimes hard to separate dealer boilerplate from actual information, but the lack of a moonroof and roof rails means it's a 2016 Base 2.5i. It would have sold new for no more than $22-24k, so $21k for a 4-year old sample, even with low miles, seems very high. Obviously its primary 3/36 warranty has expired, so much would depend on the reputation and reliability of that particular dealer and the warranty they include. If they

Keep in mind that 2016 Base will lack the advanced safety systems ("Eyesight") now standard on Subarus, and that the infotainment system is, by current standards, rudimentary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that insight! Yes I had kind of deduced it was the low end model. I’m feeling a little leery about this now. I tend to lean towards more loaded vehicles. Thought this was an inexpensive way to get a good vehicle but now having second thoughts.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
301 Posts
compared to a premium it has painted steel wheels,all black exterior mirrors,no extension on the front armrest and no armrest at all in the back simple head unit no backup cam. i have a 14 base model and they're as plain as they come. i'd sure like to know why it sat around so much.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
301 Posts
maybe it's the wrong picture. the add does say they're alloys but the ones in the picture aren't. doesn't hurt to look or make an offer.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I dunno maybe this one has some upgrades - says alloy wheels, backup cam, arm rests etc
As far as I could determine, the car had only the optional alloy wheels/roof rail package, plus body side molding. Everything else shown was standard on the Base (ignore the text reference to the optional Turbo engine, which this car doesn't have).

The Base Forester in 2016 was still a well-equipped car by many standards; certainly as nice as any car I'd ever had before. The only reason we bought a 2015 Premium instead of a Base was because we wanted the optional Eyesight system, not available on the Base.

But today you can still get a 2019 or incoming 2020 Base for $24k or so, and it's an even better car. Eyesight is now standard, and fuel economy is improved.

That 2016 is likely a perfect fine car that might be worth considering for, say, $15-16k at most. Low miles are good, but lots of very short trips and sitting undriven are not necessarily good for a car, either. It still needs to be evaluated.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
42 Posts
Truecar shows this VIN No. to be Forester CVT Base with Alloy Package (alloy wheels and roof rails). Last year I bought new 2018 CVT base + alloy package for $21,554.66 + TTL: $2,206.78=OTD: $23,761.44, so I think the listed price of $20,900 is high for 2016 and should be negotiated aggressively. In this price range I would look for 2017 Certified Pre-Owned with <15,000 miles. Check cargurus.com for their listings as their search engine is quite flexible. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
446 Posts
The price is too high for the trim and year.

Check Cargurus and check what are the prices in your neighborhood. Around NYC, I would pay $22K for 2016 Touring with 23K miles, for example, before negotiations.

If I were you, I would just buy a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts