Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife's 2016 Forester has developed a squeak coming from the front passenger-side wheel, at speeds <25mph. It seems to follow the 'rhythm' of the wheels, speeding up as the car does until moving at higher speeds.

It only happens after the car has been driving for ~5 mins, and is worse when turning hard to the right. It does not make noise when braking at all.

I took all the wheels off, one by one and checked:
  • CV Axle boots - no tears, all good
  • Tie rods - all good
  • Dust Guards - no debris
  • Brake pads - seem to be at a good level
  • Brake hardware - all is in place and tight

I also checked the brake fluid, and it's all good as well.

I plan on replacing the brake pads this weekend just for the sake of it, but other than that I'm pretty stumped as to what the cause could be.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tyler

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
742 Posts
what is the condition of the brake rotors?

any grooves across the contact surface?

any lips on the inner or outer edges, of where the pads contact?

is the contact surface on the rotors very shiny and smooth?

any uneven wear on the pads?

is there a shiny glazed look to the pad surface?

have the brake lines been flushed and bled?

have the callipers been serviced/rebuilt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the condition of the brake rotors?

any grooves across the contact surface?

any lips on the inner or outer edges, of where the pads contact?

is the contact surface on the rotors very shiny and smooth?

any uneven wear on the pads?

is there a shiny glazed look to the pad surface?

have the brake lines been flushed and bled?

have the callipers been serviced/rebuilt?
Hi! thanks for the reply. I plan to change the brake pads this weekend. I will use this list to do a full check while I'm changing the pads, and then report back. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
742 Posts
If your pads are of good quality, have plenty of meat left of them, have even wear, and have been performing well; it may not be necessary to replace them.

Pads can become contaminated, or glazed. The pad surface can be filed/sanded back, to remove the glaze and/or contamination; then cleaned with brake parts cleaner. In some instances contamination can be burnt off with a heat torch, but it probably best practice to replace pads that are that contaminated.

Likewise with the rotors. If they have become glazed and shiny, its possible to sand the surface. The rough surface assists the pads to bed in.

However if your rotors are heavily worn, and/or beyond minimum thickness; they will likely wear out a new set of pads quicker, have reduced stopping power, and possibly not address the squeak issue. Ridges or lips on the rotor, at the inner and outer edges of pad contact point, can cause rubbing and squealing as they contact the side of the pad.

If the callipers are in need of a service/rebuild, they may also wear out your new pads quicker, and the squeak may also prevail. Dry or seized slide pins, fatigued brake pad hardware, swollen piston seal, debris or crystallised brake fluid behind piston dust seal, corrosion or moisture in calliper. These sort of things can stop the calliper piston from fully retracting, or even calliper alignment etc; therefore causing scuffing of the pad on the rotor, which can cause squeaking/squealing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts